compressed air engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriske

Reaction score
Hi,

School projects finished, open door was a succes, so now its time to start thinking toward next schoolyear. This one is not finished yet...;)
Wouter(fellow teacher) and I are thinking of building a copy of Benz' first auto driven by a compressed air engine instead of a IC engine.

Ideas, links, tips..?

thanks in advance

Chris

Hi guys,

Some more info.

We did some searching and found on YouTube a few guys modifying a IC engine into an air engine.
Question is : would there be enough power to drive a small vehicle with such a modded engine. To be clear on the matter it is not our purpose to break world records with this small car (buggy) at all. We had in mind to copy the first car ever built by Mr Benz. This is what we have in mind :
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z10986/Benz-Motorwagen-Replica.aspx
This vehicle will go as fast as 10 mph. And it will cover only a few 100 yards(probably far less) during Open Door May 2014.
Meaning no large air canisters will be needed to cover that day.

If this modding is not feasible I would consider building that air engine myself. Problem is I do not know how large that engine should be.

Ok guys, any suggestions...?

Thanks,

Chris

I cant help you personally. I have never tried to convert an engine into an air engine. I have converted an air compressor into a gas engine. Try to contact the fellow on youtube and try to get an idea of how much air it uses. that might give you a base line so you can compare the bore and stroke of his to yours and make your own informed decision. If your bore and stroke are small enough it might be worth a shot.

If you are going through all the trouble of building an engine why not add and an ignition system and fuel system and make it a IC engine? You could get much longer run time that way and a more authentic sound. Braging rights allways helps....:p

Just my $0.02,
John.

Last edited:
Try to contact the fellow on youtube and try to get an idea of how much air it uses. that might give you a base line so you can compare the bore and stroke of his to yours and make your own informed decision. If your bore and stroke are small enough it might be worth a shot.

I could do that indeed. Point is I found no modified engine driving a vehicle of any kind. All engines I've seen were stand alone compressed air engines doing nothing. Maybe I should look better...;D

If you are going through all the trouble of building an engine why not add and an ignition system and fuel system and make it a IC engine? You could get much longer run time that way and a more authentic sound. Braging rights allways helps....:p
Just my $0.02,
John.

The whole idea is NOT using a IC engine. Our two other options are using compressed air engine or maybe, just maybe using a Stirling engine.
The only problem with a Stirling engine is it (maybe) would be to large to fit in that vehicle.

Chris

To store enough energy in a compressed air tank to run a vehicle, you either need a very large air tank, or you need to pump it up to a very high pressure. The prototype air powered cars I've seen use 2 tanks that are each pumped up to around 3000 PSI. Those require regulators and some kind of throttling control.

You should be able to use steam vehicles as a resource. Aside from the heat, I would think the operating parameters would be about the same. Here's a reference for the Stanley Steamer...

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~wilhelmr/stanphot.html

As you can see, it had a 4" x 5" bore and stroke, 2 cylinder, double acting engine. It operated on a boiler pressure of 600 PSI. That seems excessive to me, but that's what the reference says.

Chuck

Chuck,

A friend of mine(Dirk) also suggested to use a steam engine.
Maybe we should start thinking about that possibility . I ask my pal Wouter about it.
A small engine should suffice because we do not want high speeds and distances.

btw : the link you posted has a high drooling factor....;D

Thanks

Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back