Coming together

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt, I saw a picture of a 9x20 somewhere on this forum that had a round bar attached to where the round ball is on the belt tension lever. It came strait back and was bent down in front of the gear chart and the end had the ball on it. It (ball) ended just above the quick change gear box lever. Not exactly on the right side, but maybe this could work or will give you an idea.

-MB

Yeah MB, You know what I'm talking about. You know when the lever is in the drive postion, its quite a reach back there to get a hold of it. That mod would make sense, to get the lever more on top when its in the drive postion would help tremendously.

1hand said:
Yeah MB, You know what I'm talking about. You know when the lever is in the drive postion, its quite a reach back there to get a hold of it. That mod would make sense, to get the lever more on top when its in the drive postion would help tremendously.

It would put the ball in front of the aluminum plate, just above the gear box. Which is better than on top. The rod end would need a square block split up to the hole for the existing lever rod, and bolted so that it would clamp around the existing lever just below the existing ball end. The rod would be bolted with the new lever angled slightly away from the side cover were all the change gears are housed. Do you follow what I mean?

-MB

Sweet. Thanks for the Help. Now I understand. I was in the middle of bending clothes hangers to see what angle you where talking about. When they say a pics worth a thousand words, they ain't lying.

Thanks Matt

1hand said:
Sweet. Thanks for the Help. Now I understand. I was in the middle of bending clothes hangers to see what angle you where talking about. When they say a pics worth a thousand words, they ain't lying.

Thanks Matt

Matt, you could also bring the lever out over and down in front of the hinged cover if you would like the ball end out further, lower, and a little to the left. The farther out and down, the less you'll be reaching over the top of the lathe to engage the belt drive.

-MB

Looks like you've got it whupped, Matt. It seems to work very well for you, and might be easier on the motor too. Good work, there.

Dean

Matt, Wow that's what I had in mind! Over and in front of the hinged cover. One step at a time and you'll get things all worked out.

I just love the layout and neat look of your shop! The collet collection not only looks extensive, its also located well for easy access.

And real DRO on you lathe and coolant system! Makes my shop set up and equipment look a little cheesy. I'm jealous! :big:

-MB

1hand said:
Put up some shelves weekend. The basement furnace room / machine shop is starting to come together.

WoW! I'm envious you look so well organized wish I was a fraction of that!
It is looooking sweeeet! :bow:

Moving the lathe changed the whole layout in the basement. I also built a bench in the back for the saw and a soldering station. I split my tool boxes in half to make a bench for the surface plate. This free'd some more space on the bench also for a arbor press and tapping station.

It feels like Home now. " it only took 2 years" :big:

010-8.jpg

011-9.jpg

012-7.jpg

013-5.jpg

007-14.jpg

008-12.jpg

009-9.jpg

004-27.jpg

005-24.jpg

006-19.jpg

Nice looking shop!

1hand said:
It feels like Home now. "

Not yet. You need to hang some pictures (and I don't mean those 'calendars').

And while a cooler (fridge) and jar (you know what I mean) will be sufficient...get a cot or something (you can't use the workbench).

A few frilly things and doo-dads and NOW we're talking home!

That looks amazing and so well organized. There doesn't seem to be much that you don't have...even in multiples :) Thanks for sharing it.

Bill

I'm envious of your shop, Matt. Very nicely organized!

Chuck

Say Matt, I really like how you have that arbor press and tapping stand arranged. I have a corner in my shop that just doesn't seem to 'fit' with the layout. Maybe I can steal incorporate your idea and utilize that area better. Hmmmm.... If I move my lathe to the other wall and then put the mill out in the center, drill press over there......... Now see what you have started!! :mad: ;D :idea: :wall:

BC1
Jim

bearcar1 said:
Say Matt, I really like how you have that arbor press and tapping stand arranged. I have a corner in my shop that just doesn't seem to 'fit' with the layout. Maybe I can steal incorporate your idea utilize that area better. Hmmmm.... If I move my lathe to the other wall and then put the mill out in the center, drill press over there......... Now see what you have started!! :mad: ;D :idea: :wall:

BC1
Jim

I laugh at my wife when she wants to move furniture around in a room. Now she is laughing at me.....she saying "see it does make a difference"

1hand said:
I laugh at my wife when she wants to move furniture around in a room. Now she is laughing at me.....she saying "see it does make a difference"

I just tell my wife to "move it yourself" :hDe: :big: :fan: :toilet: *knuppel2*

you get the idea here.

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back