Coles Hit & Miss REDUX

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a bizzy boy tonight. I pick up some frisket paper from the art store today (pinstripe masking). But I had a better idea on my drive home from work :idea: I use to use a drafting ink pen on my model airplanes to simulate panel lines.
It worked great. Not so pronounced in this pic (look at left wing). I have the pens from my younger engineering days. So I will go to the art store tomorrow to see if I can get some white ink and give it a whirl.
IMG_0237.jpg

Tonight I had another brilliant idea Rof} I said to myself.....self....how did they empty the water out of the engine ??? they needed a drain. So to add more junk on to the engine, I decided to put in a drain and valve. I thought I was going to need a couple of 90's so I made them only to find out it was just better to go straight down. The valve was an old left over from my "steam era days" and could go to use. The valve and fittings are PMR stuff 3/16".
So here comes the pic's
IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

Tony,

Nice drain system. :bow: I have been pondering the very same thing but I may have to make a boss to accept the valve.

Best Regards
Bob

Hey Bob,
Thats right you have a sheet metal outer jacket. A little brass boss soldered in will do the trick for you!!!
Tony

The finger tips are burnt to the bone and still more buffing to go. I tried the local art/drafting store for a Rapidograph pen and white ink (another pinstripe attempt). NG, went on line and found them, 7-9 days till delivery. So, I decided to start to buff out the brass and bronze parts.

IMG_0368.jpg

Just used the ebony and some Brasso afterward to clean them up. Thinking about a clear Lacquer over them now.
What to clean them with ??? and still have the shine and have the paint stick scratch.gif Will Prepsol work ??? I'll give it a shot, unless anybody has a better method.
Tony

Heya bony fingers :big: You might wish to use Brakleen. It comes in an aerosol can at the auto parts store and is a fantastic solvent. Just don't use it on your fresh paint as it will strip it in a hurry.

BC1
Jim

Thanks Jim Thm:
I'll look into it. It's funny, I bought this engine as my first IC project. Just to learn how to make an IC engine. It was supposed to be my first IC learning experience. Man I'm learning.......I'm learning that I can't leave an engine well enough alone. Rof}
Tony

PS take note on the gov weights. Don't put the holes where they tell you. Springs will interference with the FW hub. I redone them and put escutcheon pins in the ends to clear the hub

Lacquer makes a good cover for brass, but I don't think it will hold up to gasoline.

Dave

Steamer, you are absolutely correct, gas will attack the lacquer. Hopefully these parts will never see raw gas. I will not do the carb or the check valve. Thanks for the concern
Tony

It's been a fun night. I've been playing with chemicals all night. So here goes a picture story of what I did.......

Black Oxide Chem
IMG_0372.jpg

After a few minute dip
IMG_0374.jpg

Clean up
IMG_0376.jpg

Time for a bath

IMG_0377.jpg

Let's pickle awhile
IMG_0378.jpg

Had some of this from the model airplane days..degreaser and prep
IMG_0379.jpg

Pickling some more before clear lacquer
IMG_0381.jpg

Tony

I think I'm on to something :D I finally got the white ink today and began the experiment. I sanded the lazy susan that I paint on and has the paint of the engine on it. I then sanded with 400 wet to "break the gloss". Used a pencil to give me guide lines. Then I broke out the old drafting equip. Erased the pencil lines and coated with clear. Looks better in person (dam camera picks up to much)

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Think I have to just slow down my motion a tad to get a fuller line

Tony

Well guys I'm giving up on the cyl pinstripe ......for now! Tired of painting and polishing and painting.....So I decided to put it together for now......go to work on the Whittle V8 (haunting me) and come back another day. Still a few more parts to put on but it's getting there!
IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

Till tomorrow......fuel tank.... ign and make it run again........book shelf.......V8

Tony

I couldn't leave well enough alone.......again. After crying on your shoulders.....Oh, I tired and can't do that anymore.....I gave it another shot. The engine needed it.....to me it didn't look right without it......So

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

I masked and then "dry sprayed" the white, left on the outer mask and used the One Shot paint and 00 pinstripe brush to put the tick marks in the corners. Not perfect but I'll feel better when I put her on the shelf.
Persistence.....the only other way is with computer generated decals (which could be in the future). I want to move on to the V8 :big:
Machines have been silent for to long now!!

Tony

And here I was thinking about busting your chops for quitting before the project was done. Looks good, I salute you sir :bow: :big:

BC1
Jim

Jim, sometimes I need a little of the busting :bow: and a kick in the paints Not exactly what I want (I bust my own chops to much) But I'm thinking it looks all right!
Tony

Tony,

That's bloody marvellous. :bow: :bow:

You wouldn't like to paint mine when it's finished..................... ??? ??? ::) ::) ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Bob,
For you......No Problem Buddy.....it would be an honor :bow:
Tony

cobra428 said:
Bob,
For you......No Problem Buddy.....it would be an honor :bow:
Tony

Thanks mate, I appreciate your kind words.

Best Regards
Bob

cobra428 said:
.......... But I'm thinking it looks all right!
Tony

It looks GREAT! Now you can begin/resume your V-8. "Mother may I? Yes you may" :big:

BC1
Jim

Thanks Guys, Tonight I will do the other side (paint takes 24h to dry)
Tony

Back