Coles Hit & Miss REDUX

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra428

Reaction score
Well I hope these Pics are better than my last post
IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

That's all folks!
I've got to get back to the shop
I what to see this run like a champ!!!

;D ;D Bravo! Nicely done! Terrific photos of a great looking model. I pulled them down into file and will study up on them, maybe I can get re-motivated and start work on the ones I have. Thanks Tony.

BC1

BC1
Glade to have been a little inspiration. I will probable do the rocker arm over. It is to spec but you can see it's not quite hitting the valve squarely. These are the "tweeks" that make the hobby fun!
Tony

Forgot to tell you look at hit and miss balance thread. This helped a lot with the engine's running!
Tony

For balancing my engine, I added 1/2" x 1/8" thick neodymium magnets inside the outer rim, opposite the connecting rod throw. I added a couple on each flywheel, started it up to try it, added a couple more, etc., until I got it in good balance (Oh yeah, stop the engine before adding more magnets :big:). I just left the magnets there since they stick really well. However, you could remove the magnets, weigh them, and cut a steel piece of the same weight and hold it to the flywheel with screws.

Chuck

Nice work tony. And the pictures too, I like the closeups. I can't get that close with my camera.

Rudy

Thanks for the Ada boy guys. And that's a good idea with the magnets. I was using car wheel balancing weights and for added safety tywraping them too.
Rudy I'm using a Canon A560. I just looked on amazon and it goes for $250 but I don't remember paying that much. I bought a couple of years ago and I'm to cheap to pay that much!!

I didn't know it could get that close either. I'm shocked. And maybe now, I don't want it to get that close when I show my work :big:
Tony

cobra428,

Very Nice :bow:

On my Canon, if you hold the shutter button half way down it will tell you if you are in focus or not, (Green rectangle yes, Yellow rectangle no.), if not in focus change to the tulip icon for close ups.

Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs ??? ??? and a Canon is a very good choice of camera. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

DUUUUDDDDE, thank you. :bow: There were no instructions when I bought the camera......well I never found them.....well maybe.... I should have read them. Guilty as charged Rof}
Thanks Man
Tony

COBRA, Nice looking engine but I can’t seem to find it on the Coles web site, do you know if it is still available?

Thnaks!

Say Jeff', Cole's still lists that engine on page two (item 12) of their pricing sheets. :Sm Hit & Miss cstgs & dwgs $154. I would suggest that you give them a call and actually verify if they have all of the castings available in stock, lest you pay your money and wait forever to have the order filled. Those are the coolest looking models of no particular brand name that I have seen. Good luck.

BC1

Hi Jeff,
The pic they show for the small h/m is not the right one??? But BC1 is right!
Tony

Hi Guys,
This is what I been working at. The check valve on the fuel is very important. I was getting erratic runs without it. Don't know why I wanted to get around not using it. I guess I saw other engines run without it and said th_wtf1. But in this case when it would go into the Miss mode I could see the fuel back down the line and it wouldn't hit again. Still needs some spring adjustment to make the miss last a little longer but I'm on the right track now. Some pics of the check valve, video of the run. Hope you enjoy ;D

Check valve parts. About an hour to make want the heck was my problem :shrug:

IMG_0168.jpg

Check valve assembled, soft soldered, needs a file and a bead blast

IMG_0169.jpg

And now for the grand finally

I love the smell of Coleman exhaust fumes in the evening........Smells like......VICTORY Rof}

Almost time for the bling thing
Tony

PS Bearcar1 are you going to dust off those casting now stickpoke

Tony,

Fantastic job and such a smooth runner. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thats a great engine Tony. Looks good and runs well. :bow: :bow:
Gail in NM,USA

Thanks Bob and Gail, :bow:
Now the really hard part comes....Paint, Pin striping and polish. I have to get it to hand start. I'm using my model airplane starter and it kicks over the second I touch the flywheel, but won't go by hand. I can feel a kick but no go yet. I think it needs a little more run time to break in!
Tony

Aw Tony, you are killing me here! You must have read my mind, 8) I did in fact pull out my casting sets of that engine and play "putt-putt" :big: in what is left of my mind. scratch.gif After a couple of hours, I woke up :eek: and realized that I have yet to complete my engine in progress and packed all of the pretty pieces back up th_rulze It was a good thing I did do some inspection, I found just a trace of surface rust th_bs beginning and resolved that by a WD40 treatment and some Ziplock bags. Rest assured that I will be picking your brain (be thankful it's not your nose, I have large fingers) when the time comes, Those are really cool little engines and lend themselves to any number of paint schemes. You have done some nice work th_wav, thank you for sharing it with us.

BC1

Thanks Bearcar1 :bow:
Still more fun to go! Take it apart again (for the 1000 time) and clean paint (red with white and black pins) and polish. No problem on the brain picking, but if you have big fingers how are you going to get them in my ear scratch.gif Rof}
Tony

Thanks Rick, :bow:
90% done.... 90% still to go yet :big: I'm messing with the springs (for the miss part) as we post. I'm dieing to get that 3 sec. off.... 1 sec on thing that I love so much about H&M's.
Tony

Back