Chrismas

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Well Mrs falcon took care of me one again . I got a GAR surface comparator for Christmas and a mic tie tack. Also woodcraft sent a
$ 10 gift card that i picked up a diamond hone card with.
Tin

No presents (not that I expected any) but I did get to talk with Noelle for a bit and one of my neighbors brought me a local kine meal. (Local kine ... bad for the diet but, oh, so ono! :))

I did set up to do some buffing & polishing on things that need to be buffed & polished, and I discovered the flap wheels I thought I bought I didn't.

I gotta get me a Mrs K ... or some close equivelent thereto. :)

Best regards,

Kludge

Good Christmas---Great Christmas!!! My wife and I had our 3 kids, two of their spouses, two grand children, and my 88 year old mom here for Christmas. My mom had meant to order me a years subscription to the Readers Digest 4 "condensed books" (I love those), but there was some kind of a balls up with the post office and it didn't happen. I had ordered her a large magnifier to read books with, and somehow the damn thing got shipped to Calgary instead of Barrie. (Figure that one out!!!) So---The day before Christmas sees Wife doing whatever wives do on the day before Christmas while mother and I go out for a last minute Christmas shop for each other. I buy her new slippers, and mother buys me a Digital Laser Tachometer. (They were on half price at $28 at Princess Auto.)---Now of course, mother still isn't sure just what she bought me, but Hey---I wanted one to do comparitive RPM readings on model steam engine modifications. Then on Christmas morning, after the gathering of the clan, we open presents. I get the usual---books, socks, a sweater---then I open a package with a tube of something in it. What the heck is this??? Lithium grease, naw, can't be. Toothpaste---well maybe.--But wait---Its sun tan lotion!!! And whats this paper wrapped around it with an elastic? HOLY SNOT!!!! ITS TICKETS FOR A WEEK IN ST. LUCIA!!!!!!! Sneaky wife has totally put one over on me!!! Booked her and I at a 5 star resort in St. Lucia for a week at the end of February.---Now Thats a Christmas present!!!

Didn't get a heater for the garage but my wife did give me some home made gift certificates that are tied to real money in our account for use at Cabin Fever. Cash is always good!

;D ;D ;D

My Mr's gave me a gift card to pick up a new computer desk that
is about 50% larger than the one I have now. I hope to have time to
go and get it tomorrow.

You all know how I work. My desk is as orderly as my shop.
OldDesk.jpg

Maybe with more space it will be a little easier to organize.
Or it may just be more space for STUFF! ;)

Rick

Rick,
I still see too much flat space on your desk. There is at least enough room next to the (beer?) can for a coffee cup.

Jack,
It just takes lots of practice to watch both at the same time. ;D
For me, I make a marking cut or two and then watch the tool until I am ready for the finishing cuts and then use the DRO.

Gail in NM,USA

Hello All: I hope everybody had a good Christmas, Mine turned out pretty well.

First thing was we lost power for about a day and a half and then I sprained my ankle trying to get down the driveway without falling (didn't make it). The Son flew in between storms on the 17th and Daughter was supposed to come in the 20th. She could not get a flight out of Denver for 3 days into Portland, so flew back to Nashville. The Son and I shoveled snow and he did sledding with his friends, then on Christmas Day we picked up our Daughter at the airport at 3PM and made it back home to open presents about 5PM.

I got one of those infernal little helicopters and have been dodging it while I and the kids have been having fun with it.

The Wife gave me several books by Nevil Shute from Alibris online book store. I bought myself a 1000lb hydraulic lifting table carts at Harbor Freight to try and help save my back with some of the heavier projects.

Tomorrow The Son and I are going to try and start the Briggs and Stratton WM (1938) engine we put back together and did a valve job on since he got here. I spent a fair time cleaning it up and painting the shrouds before he got here to save some time.

All in all a good Christmas was had by those of us here in our house. We are very thankful for our blessings and I would like to thank all of you for the interesting posts that I try to read every day, and a big Thank You to the Moderators and Rick for this Forum, it is greatly appreciated.
don

Don if you get that WM running please post a video in the Break Room.
Being an antique Briggs collector, I'd love to see it run!

Rick

It's not over yet for us :eek: :eek:

The day itself passed very quietly with just Galina and I eating too much and not drinking enough ::)

Yesterday was the Yachties bash where I both drank and ate too much
rdo.gif

Tomorrow we are off to my daughters a she comes off night duty in intensive care and after that we have some friends to visit - It will be a big day and I hope they haven't got the boys toys in/on which grandad can maim himself, like last year with the trial bike, where my ego way outstripped my capabilities. (No fool like an old fool). Trees trial bikes and Grandad make an interesting threesome and it took some time to separate them back to their individual parts.
fahr38.gif

Our big event is New Year. We put on our best bib and tucker and sally forth to the Russian Club for a night of dancing singing and way too much vodka
mgcrazy.gif

Oh! my camera you know about the after shave is a new one called oddly enough Tsar
Wow77.gif

Galina and I hope you all had a great Xmas and you have a Happy New Year.

Best Regards
Bob

Got a left-handed digital caliper and scored some machining books (Kozo's New Shay, Rudy's Steam Tractor and one is called "Workshop Masters And Their Projects" which appears to be a bound set of a late 80's/early 90's British model engineering magazine that basically reprinted old articles-- LBSC's 'Ayesha' and some other live steam locos and stationary engines, a bunch on hot air engines, stuff from ETW and a bunch of other plans and tips.. should be good fun).

Plus I got to play with the 1 and 4 year old Nieces. That was the best part. :)

Has been a busy week here, we always do Christmas with my mom the Saturday before, under the tree at her house was a large old wooden ammo box with a bow on it for me. It was full of metal. Lots of nice stuff in there, Brass, aluminum, stainless, steal. It took two of us to cary it out to the car for the trip home. My mom said that her husband had a great time collecting stuff from the junk yard to fill the box. He has a large shop, mostly rebuilds old tractors, and full scale steam engines, and thought that I would enjoy this as I am always looking for brass. It was a wonderful surprise, even if the kids did not get why I was so happy to get a box of old metal.

On Christmas eve, my Dad gave me plans and the parts kit for Jerry Howell's Miser. (The wife had influence on this one)

And from my wife, I received Steam and Sterling vol 1, The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos, and The Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt vol 1. As well as a new Webber Baby Q grill for the camper that I was needing, but too cheap to buy myself.

The wife also spent the weekend following christmas helping me in the shop. Put up a wall to partition off the machine shop from the ham shack/office and also made area so the wife can have a craft room, next to the shop. Just about ready to start making chips again.

You got to love it when the wife supports your hobby!

Dale

dwentz said:
Has been a busy week here, we always do Christmas with my mom the Saturday before, under the tree at her house was a large old wooden ammo box with a bow on it for me. It was full of metal.

That's like the 140 pounds of mixed brass, steel and stainless that a neighbor dropped off for me a couple days before Christmas. My other neighbors didn't understand the thrill but they did understand that it made "Da Rev" (Among other things, I'm a retired minister and still do a little counseling as needed.) happy so it was a Good Thing.

I gotta go down to the local surplus house and see if they have any of those wooden ammo boxes left. I forgot about them!

Have fun with the metal, Dale!

Best regards,

Kludge

I finally got my new desk in and set up.
NewDesk-1.jpg

That make the 19" monitor look a little smaller. LOL

There was even enough left over on that gift card to order one of these.
0077898878071_215X215.jpg

How complicated can it be? It's only ONE more control channel than the little
Air Hogs Havoc helicopters. And it is on clearance for $20 at Wal Mart online.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10568537

Rick

My brother gave me the SIC back-issues covering the Scorpion V8 build and plans - looks like a big job ahead of me. Now I just have to find somewhere in Perth that stocks 2.25" square 6061!

I got all my gifts before Christmas :( so I didn't get much, but I gave her lots and lots of thankyou's.

My youngest son however made out like thief. This year saw him get an almost complete tool set with pliers and saw and level. Screwdrivers and socket set in a nice tool chest that is also a seat. He LOVES it and is bugging me for some wood to work with already. ;D

The wife noticed his artistic streak and found an art store with a going out of business sale. She picked up a nice wooden French Easel that was something like 80% off. A real nice piece of equipment that wouldn't have been in our house without that steep discount.

Yep, the kid cleaned up. :D

That's what its all about right?
Kermit

Latest posts

Back