New surface grinder for my shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John:

You appear to have a "trigger" thumb. The solution for this is an injection of one of the cortisone medicines around the tendon. Works 95% of the time. Your Doc could do this, but probably better a hand surgeon. In the meantime an anti-inflammatory (aspirin related medicine) will tide you over - if it is safe for you to take and doesn't interact with other meds. Hope this helps.

Cheers
r

p.s. Have been tracking your posts for a long time. Thanx

Hi Ray,
Unfortunately it isn't quite that easy, I only wish it was. The doc looked at your diagnosis straight away but diagnosed it was skeletal rather than muscular, something to do with a combination of dislocated lower thumb joint and arthritis, something to do with the bone tendril growth and bone loss in other places in the joint not allowing it to move properly back into position.
Very similar thing to my shoulder injury that left me with my duff right hand, It required two keyhole operations (7 entry points) where they removed 12mm of bone from the shoulder joint and cut a groove for the nerve to sit in, but the permanent damage had already been done, but at least afterwards I could move my arm, which I couldn't do before.

But anyway, it should be able to be sorted out quickly one way or another.

So I am going to try to get another hour in today, and that should almost sort out my surface grinder head dropping if things go well.

John

Managed to get finished what I had been trying to achieve over the last few weeks, doesn't look much, but at the moment, this is a big step for me.

Turn up a pulley for the cable to run over

DSCF0875_zpsrkmsvn2l.jpg

With a couple of loose spacers and lots of copper grease the cable now runs over the pulley and the weight below is nicely spaced away from the internal column sides. It doesn't look pretty but it is doing the job admirably.

DSCF0882_zpsnqq2dswq.jpg

So I can now get the cover on and forget about that problem, and start to concentrate on fitting the dedicated DRO's.

John

I wish you all the best John, you may have seen that I have been away from the workshop for the past 2 weeks, but I'm itching to get back there, still will be a few weeks yet. We have a Maltese cross and she comes looking for me in the workshop, but I have to be careful of the swarf on the floor.

Paul.

Latest posts

Back