Sieg X2 clone mill in UK, first impressions...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I initially had the same problem with the motor pulley it didn't seem to go on fully. I used the gear change end spindle as a drift and with the motor resting on my leg used a hammer to ensure it was driven all the way home. I didn't place the motor on a bench as I was doing this as the end of the motor is plastic and could be easily damaged. With the belt in low speed there was a tiny amount of rubbing of the cover plate, I took it off.

Andy

interesting to hear you had the same problem i will triple cheque the pulley but prity sure it was all the way home its no bigy though. I may drop the seller a email about the cover plate its no biggie it really wants the section to be a little thicker and then machine out a little more. i think im almost ready to start trying to pice the steal together for the frame and then move on to the cnc side of thing, i just really hope there is a cheap way to do the ball screws!

just thought i would let you know i emailed the chap about the belt drive cover and he was extremely helpful and immediately offered to send a replacement with a deeper recess for the pulley foc. would defiantly recommend the ebay chap for the belt drives conversion.

Thanks for that... I'm ok with the cover I have and will probably be moving the motor to the right of the spindle (not behind it) with a new mounting plate soon. This will allow me to add a spacer/indexer between the 2 head castings.

Here is an example

http://www.hossmachine.info/projects_6.html#extended y

This will allow me to utalise the full Y-axis travel when the 'old' base gets attached to the machine.

Start a thread Charlie for your CNC progress.

Andy

Tramming.......

Eventually got around to trammming the head to the column using Rollie's Dad's method.

10mm collet and 10mm silver steel bar, started with the 'twist' (the old x2 tilting column direction if that makes any sense) and measured the run out, moved the head 6" down and remeasured, 0.095" out.... and 4th attempt within 0.0005". Huragh!!

The trick I found was to gently slacken the 4 spindle case bolts but keep one tighter which acts as the pivot for the 'adjustment' which is a hammer and very light taps.

Now to the 'Nod'. First measurement out by 0.003" over 6"..... im leaving it at that....

We will see what happens when I fix the column and base together but adjustment is relatively easy as its just a case of slackening the column bolts and shimming.

The whole process of removing the head, adjusting and then resetting the gib strip and tightening it to remeasure has shown the woe that is the x2 gib strip. I did lap the ways prior to tramming and got a 1mm edge of contact for the strip. The angle it contacts the dovetail is all wrong so the first thing to make are new ones from brass. A tapered gib would be much better.

base to column tramming next...yay.....

(edit) all tramming information (and more) can be found here....

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=5337

Andy

Latest posts

Back