Chemical Tap Removal

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took a few days at room temperature for me to get a tiny drill out of some brass with a crystallizing Alum solution.

I have an old fashioned electric hot plate that I use for the alum solution tap removal.

This one to be exact:
hotplate.jpg

It was most likely made a few years before I was, but it works just fine for keeping
the alum solution just below a simmer on the back porch or basement floor.

It also eliminates the wife's objections to using her kitchen stove or appliances. ;)

Rick

Rick,

I put my jar in the oven at 190*F. The jar is sitting in a Pyrex pan for disaster containment. I did notice some bubbles coming from the hole with the broken 2-56 tap. I sure hope this works. The cylinder block was a lot of work for me and it came out on size in all dimensions.

SAM

SAM in LA said:
I put my jar in the oven at 190*F. The jar is sitting in a Pyrex pan for disaster containment. I did notice some bubbles coming from the hole with the broken 2-56 tap. I sure hope this works. The cylinder block was a lot of work for me and it came out on size in all dimensions.

SAM

It will work - and you'll save your hard work. A blind hole would take longer than a thru hole. As long as you continue to see those bubbles the process is continuing to dissolve the tap. It's a matter of choice whether to watch until the bubbles stop streaming from the hole (at which point all of the tap should be completely gone); or check every few hours to see if the broken portion of the tap will fall out/be flushed out.

I found it better if the hole is facing up i found i got more bubbles (more of a reaction)

Rob

Boil and bubble, toil and trouble, disappear broken tap, disappear I command you!

th_wav woohoo1

Spells by SAM

The tap is no longer in my cylinder block.

The ALUM worked as advertised.

I placed my jar in the oven with the lid screwed on loosly.

I set the oven at 200*F and within 6 hours the tap was dissolved.

Thanks for the information.

SAM

Did the alum have any effect on the aluminum, discoloration, pitting, etc.?

Back