Can this motor be wired for 110v?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To tell you the truth, I don't even know if the motor works. How bad would it be to plug the motor into the 100W transformer just to see if it works?

Sent from my C6606 using Model Engines mobile app

If the motor works I'll go ahead and buy the 1000W transformer.

To tell you the truth, I don't even know if the motor works. How bad would it be to plug the motor into the 100W transformer just to see if it works?

Hi there,
You might just find that the transformer lets the magic smoke out ! It wont damage the motor but the transformer would be toast.

Really you would be better off finding someone who can run a test on it for you.

In my experience, you're not likely to damage the transformer if you momentarily connect it to the motor, even if it's a dead short. However, when I say momentarily, I mean no more than 2 or 3 seconds.

The other thing to note is that 100 watts may not be enough to start up the motor.

Chuck

Is there a way to test the motor to see if there are any shorts in the windings?

I'm no electrician or electrical expert, but in my opinion, it would be hard to tell. Normally I would say use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance of the windings, but without knowing what the resistance should be, it would be hard to interpret any results. I'm guessing the resistance is going to be pretty low, even if there is no short.

Chuck

I do have a 220 plug available. The dryer I'd plugged into it. I can't use is full time but I can use it to test the motor. I bought a dryer plug and I replaced the old switch. I hope I got it right. I wired the white to the "L" shaped prong and the black and green to the flat prongs. Did I do good?
If the motor is good I'm going to buy a transformer.

I do have a 220 plug available. The dryer I'd plugged into it. I can't use is full time but I can use it to test the motor. I bought a dryer plug and I replaced the old switch. I hope I got it right. I wired the white to the "L" shaped prong and the black and green to the flat prongs. Did I do good?
If the motor is good I'm going to buy a transformer.

If you do test it then beware of the kick as the motor starts to spin. Trap it between a wall and your foot ! If you don't it may spin out of control and do some damage.
Take care.

kd0afk,

I hope you haven't tried to run this motor yet. If you are in the USA, I am concerned about what you are doing!

"I wired the white to the "L" shaped prong and the black and green to the flat prongs. Did I do good?"

Green is supposed to be ground. White is neutral in 110V or a hot wire for 220, which may be connected to ground in 110V. This is confusing, but there are reasons why it is so, by convention and by code.

With the power off, use an ohmmeter (on the lowest setting) to check for continuity from the green wire to the housing of your motor.

If the green wire IS ground, you are creating a situation where the motor housing is connected to current and you can be shocked.

You may have also created a situation where you have a dead short and your circuit breaker will trip or fuse will blow.

I usually am not one to discourage individual learning: This is a learning forum. I strongly suggest getting help from someone who has more experience with electrical installations in your location and/or someone who has definite experience with the internals of motors like yours. You need an experienced set of eyes and hands to help you in a hands-on way with this. We can only offer general advice online, and electrical codes and practices differ in different parts of the world. Someone may have patched-together your motor in a non-standard way, which also complicates our understanding and advice.

I researched transformers myself, but found that suitable ones for your use would approach the cost of a suitable motor. You should be able to find a better motor and get rid of this one.

I have been in your situation and have gotten rid of running motors, rather than end up with something not right and possibly unsafe.

Please be careful.

--ShopShoe

So, I wired the white wire to the "L" shaped prong. The motor according to the PO is functional. The old plug was like a 110 plug but the blades are in line. The white wire was wired to the round post on the old plug. I'm confident that the motor isn't shorted, I just need to know if the plug is hooked up right.

And the motor is mounted so no kick back.

The cords are in bad shape so I just bought 2 feet of 10/4 to go from the motor to the switch and 10 feet of 12/3 to replace the plug cord.
I'm going to duplicate the wiring. I'm pretty sure I can do it right with the wiring diagrams.

Just had someone help me move it the 220 outlet and it works just fine. I'm going to replace all of the old cord and try to sell it to put towards a milling machine.

Just had someone help me move it the 220 outlet and it works just fine. I'm going to replace all of the old cord and try to sell it to put towards a milling machine.

Well at least you now know !

Latest posts

Back