Can this motor be wired for 110v?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd0afk

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a model 1180 shaper and I don't have 220. I'd rather not have to buy a new motor. Anyway here's the data plate. How else can I figure out if it can be rewired.
ForumRunner_20140117_183506.jpg

Will probably be cheaper just to buy another second-hand motor than have this one re-wired. :)

OK, thanks. I didn't think it was a have to get it rebuilt thing I thought it was more of a I could do it.

Here's the wires coming out of the motor there are four, red, white, black and green.

ForumRunner_20140117_200631.jpg

ForumRunner_20140117_200652.jpg

If the electric motor is designed for 220 volt, you can not rewiring to 110 volt. There is the winding in the electric motor which determines the voltage. Best to buy new or used electric motor.

Does it actually run at all on 110V? I only ask because I used to run a milling machine that was rated 440V 3 phase on a 240V single phase supply. I had to swap some wires over and connect a large capacitor across a couple of wires but it ran fine, albeit at 80% of rated capacity.

If you have a reputable motor shop or electrician they can advise you. I have and have seen motors set up to run 110/220 but they are usually labeled and have diagrams to set the voltage.
That said If it was me I would likely just run a 220 line.
Most homes in the USA have 220 available it is just split into two 110 legs in the breaker box just a matter of installing a breaker a bit of romex and a 220 outlet.
But if you are not comfortable with electric work. Probably cheaper to buy a motor over hiring an electrician.
How far is your work area from your breaker box.

What Tin said.

If you need the same HP, current will be double at 110V, possibly calling for another circuit anyway. Starting current may also be higher (motor guys can confirm this?) If you can install a 220V circuit, that is probably best.

Otherwise, just look for another motor.

--ShopShoe

I've found some motors on eBay for around $100 that will work. I would say I got a pretty good deal on this shaper. A new set of bearings, swapping out all of the nuts and bolts for stainless, two cans of spray paint and one can of easyoff and some elbow grease and a new motor. The shaper was free.
I'll probably get this motor working and sell it. And when the thing is working ill sell it to buy a thickness planer.

They sell a step up transformer that let's you run 220v appliances on 110v mains. Could that be an option or is it too simple to work?

sure it will work but will draw twice the amps and run your electric meter twice as fast and you will pay twice for the electric it uses. Se la vi
Tin

sure it will work but will draw twice the amps and run your electric meter twice as fast and you will pay twice for the electric it uses. Se la vi
Tin

So you're saying a 220v motor run on a step up transformer would eat four times the electricity than a 110v motor?

No I am saying your motor rated at 220 volts and three amp powered by a step up transformer will draw 6 + amps off a 110 main . And since your billing is based on amp draw you will be billed based on the 6 amps flowing through your meter.
The overall power consumption will be about the same . Power is amps times volts. so if the volts are cut in half the Amps are doubled to obtain the same power.
Sorry if I confused the issue.
Tin

So it would cost roughly the same to run than a normal 220 motor? If I had a 220 outlet to use I would be using that power so I won't be any worse off right? I think I will go ahead and get a new motor though.

Any of the electricians can correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding motors running on 110 cost more to run than a comparable power 220 motor or the same dual voltage motor wired 110 will cost more to run than wired in 220 mode.
Tin

This is getting a little of the mark. We are measured for our POWER drawn, not just the amps. So if we use 1hp of mechanical we will pay for 1hp+ some loss of electricity. It doesnt rally matter if we use the power at 110v or 220v, power is power. Transformers happen to be about the most efficient electrical gadget around, so if use one to change voltage we use very little more power.

It is true that the same motor, doing the same work, will take twice the current flow at 110 as at 220. But 2x current at 1/2x voltage is still the same power.

The reason we want to run the motor at the higher voltage is to lower the current, because the current will cause a power loss in the wires based on the wire resistance. So we like to run motors at the highest voltage, hence lowest current we can.

If the motor is run at 110v, the higher current will cause more line loss, and the voltage at the motor will be reduced from the 110 at the wall to maybe as low as 90 or so, the extra power lost to heat up the wires. So we waste power and the terminal voltage of the motor is lower so we get less power out of it.

When is all added up we are better off running a motor at 220v than at 110v if its possible.

A 1/2 HP 110 motor will cost the same to run as a 1/2 hp single phase 220 motor. At half the voltage the current is doubled, so wattage is the same regardless the voltage.

220 coming into a house is two lines that each are 110v to neutral. And 220v line to line. The meter reads the current on each line and adds them together. So the meter spins the same speed if its 10 amps on one line and and zero on the other, or 5 amps on each line.

Back