Cam grinder fixture plans?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys.
Any of you started building the cam grinding fixture????
Let us know ;D

I must say I am excited about the possibilities this little device could offer! Any one have a picture of one they'd be willing to share?? It looks like a simple fixture to build; for some (myself included) it might help to see one so they can get their arms around the design. The PDF images leave some left to be desired.

I'd also like to know if anyone has used this fixture and what the results were.

Can't let this one go by! Can I also have the plans please? I'm sure I'll put it to good use sometime in the foreseeable future!

carbide_burner said:
Can't let this one go by! Can I also have the plans please? I'm sure I'll put it to good use sometime in the foreseeable future!

Check your PMs....

Joe

wareagle said:
Any one have a picture of one they'd be willing to share??

Two thoughts ............ (me thinking ;D ................ always dangerous) ......as it is so popular can't it be uploaded to the Files area (Downloads) and therefore available for all registered users, and ............... could one of our 3D Cad guru's perhaps knock up a sketch 8)

Think of it as a team build ............ but just at the planning stage ;D :big: ;D

CC

;D this looks intresting, would any one sned me some plans if they didnt mind?

Gentlemen,

It seems as things may be getting carried away here somewhat...

The problem with this plan set or any other "copied" works is the fact of copyright infringement. The publisher likely holds the copyright and failure to get their written permission to have this in the downloads section will certainly be a copyright violation. Matter of fact, the copies that are being passed about without consent of the publisher are in violation as well. Face it, the publishers are in business and copyright infringement jeopardizes their existence. Think of copyright infringement as theft.

If someone were to draw up their own version of the fixture, then that could be placed in the downloads section for the registered members to get at will. If anyone wants to take that challenge on, there has to be changes to the design to avoid any copyright infringements. We have plenty of talent here to improve upon the design, and there is a challenge for anyone wishing to do so.

I strongly urge all of the members to respect the rights of the publishers, their works and abide by the laws; whether it is here or at any other site(s). If the forum communities don't abide by the copyright laws, then sooner or later the forum owners could face something similar to what Napster and the other file sharing sites have faced in recent years. We all know how well that turned out! Let's not destroy a great thing in these forums, whether it be HMEM or any other!

HMEM will respect the rights of any publisher just as we expect them to respect ours. If you are wishing to put something in the downloads section that may be questionable, PM or email one of the mods/admins prior to doing so. Let's all work together and abide by the law.

Note: I am not calling anyone out here for partaking in the information exchange. Just use common sense in what you are doing and keep everything legal.

I understand :)

I will take the challange on my self in my sper time if I can, I will need some way of getting ideas on the plans I havent seen them so cant just do it off my head but if there are pictures etc I can I am sure.

Karl.

This might set up an interesting team design as Crew Cab mentioned. Maybe a thread could be started for the design of a cam grinding fixture and people can contribute ideas if they wish and the design then could be a genuine HMEM member design.

Just a thought....

wareagle said:
This might set up an interesting team design as Crew Cab mentioned. Maybe a thread could be started for the design of a cam grinding fixture and people can contribute ideas if they wish and the design then could be a genuine HMEM member design.

Just a thought....
OK you Cad. gurus out there show us what you can do. A cam/crank combo would have been great :bow:
CS.

Will a picture do ~?

cam%20grinder.jpg

WE, thank you for pointing out the copyright issue, I completely agree that HMEM must abide by copyright law and I apologise to all the members for my oversight here.

Mmmmmmm ........... the challenge is a little harder than I first thought, we need to design our own Cam Grinder ............. OK guys who's up for a "Team Design" then ;)

CC

Sure!

We should do some research first as there are other cam grinders out there

There was a write up in HSM some time ago on one were the base was made from an old table saw.

Dig into the files guys and lets see them....who's with me.

Dave

Hard to tell from the pic but that cam grinder photo I put up is a home made one based on an old turret lathe and made by Glyn Jones, Myford,s old Development engineer for making complete new cams for racing MG's in the 1950's

I have no idea if it still survives, I sold it to Neal street who used it to make 4 valve Jawa heads for speedway racing in the 1980's

It was quite simple in that it worked by having a sub bed mounted above the donor bed in plumber bearings and thet rocked the cam shaft into the work by a follower on the end behind the motor on the left.

Unlike a lot of grinders and jigs I have seen this worked off an inverse master. i.e the cam lobe was a curve inwards, like a valley. The reason being was the master could be turned and so the base circle was a circular, saves making part of the master on rotary tables etc.
The master on these was based an a 10" ally disk about 1/8" to 3/16" thick so it was working at a 10:1 reduction for accuracy.
I can remember exactly how it worked and could sketch it if needed.

Latest posts

Back