Cam grinder fixture plans?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dick L

If you look under my avatar, click on the envelope under it and you can just send me an email. Just put 'cam plans' as the message and you will get them by return.

Lathe Nut,
It will show it to yourself, but not to the members.

It is a bit dangerous to put your email up front like you have, you never know who is trolling this open forum. I would suggest you modify your post and remove it, now that the plans have been sent.

John

Got my set John, thanks very much, looks like a great winter project

Well that turned out to be a bit of an exercise, serves me right for volunteering.

I hope I haven't missed anyone who asked.

If no one asks for a set in the next couple of days, they are going back into archive.

John

Hi Bogstandard, would you please send me a set of the plans. Thank you.

Another client for You...John, can you include me as well please?
Thanks
Paolo

Certainly Paolo,

Just send me an email as yours is hidden.

John

I've been intrigued by the concept of DIY cam grinders since I read about Burt Monroe making his own motor bike cams.

According to one of the books, he started by literaly hand filing cams to shape, and eventually constructed his own cam grinding equipment.

I had always assumed cam grinders were complicated big $/£ machines but apparently this is not necessarily so.

Bob,

This one is very basic and works on the principle you mentioned. Make up a larger cam shaped blank, ali or even plywood (say 4X scale) and use that to control the grinding head.

I have seen many, and I think I have other plans somewhere, of very complicated machines for grinding cams. But I don't think any of them come close to this for ease of use and construction.

The big boys who make the blown V-8 models use this one.

If you can use a mill or lathe with a bit of confidence, no-one should have any trouble making and using this.
I suppose, at a push this one could be used for making full sized, just make it a lot wider.

John

Lathe Nut

I thought I had already sent it.

Just click on the little envelope under my avatar at the side of this post. That will open up your outlook.

Just enter as the message 'cam grinder' and send it. That is the easiest way of doing it, and is guaranteed to get your correct email address to me. The return email will go to your email at home, if that is the one you are using to send in the first place.

I have definitely sent one to the email address that you put up. Your email address on here is still hidden.

John

I think that is everyone who asked, duly served.

This offer is now closed, and the plans are now back in archive.

Those that did have them, I hope it eventually does what you need it to do.

John

Latest posts

Back