Building one of Rudy's steamers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another slow day in the shop, but still a dab done. Dragging a bit today, coming down
with something. Probably caught it from Mike (twmaster). We hang out at the same forums..

Hey, HEY!!

The Doc said I wasn't contagious....

However that work you've been doing Dean is. Looking sharp. Man I just love the look of brass.

gbritnell said:
Boy that thing is coming along great Dean. I don't think Rudy had that amount of refinement on this project when he started it. It looks so good in the bare metal state it would almost be a shame to paint it. Keep up the great work.
gbritnell

Thank you, George.
I don't plan to paint the whole thing. Mainly the base and flywheel spokes/hubs. Most of the rest of the metal will be in it's natural state, although I need to hit it a lick with the file.

Toyman, thanks again for your kind remarks!

Mike, I'm pretty sure I got this crud through the keyboard. ...and you had it first, so..
Appreciate your comments, always!

Dean

Dean, you're doing and showing a beautiful job :bow: - please keep it coming!

Kind regards, Arnold

Thanks again, Arnold!

Still feeling a little punky today, so wasn't very enthusiastic in the shop. Just a made up
a run of 2-56 cap screws for all the holes in the cylinder heads.

231.jpg

Here they are, along with a W&W for scale.

I put pictures up showing cap screws being made earlier in the thread, so won't repeat that.

232.jpg

They look more at home than the black SCHS that had previously been used to fit this up.

233.jpg

And the other end.

That's it for today.

Thanks for looking.

Dean

Oh. My...... :bow: :bow: :bow:

Say Dean, what is the reason for the 'lagging' around the cylinder?

Hi Mike;

Lagging is insulation to keep the heat in on an external combustion engine. If you've ever seen a real steam plant, you'll notice that all the pipes that are pressurized have what looks like rope wrapped around them. (In modern times, they usually have foam insulation.) The steam cylinder usually has a packing around it, like asbestos, held on by wooden slats that go around the cylinder.
For a real engine, it keeps things from cooling off. For a model, might do the same thing, and it helps it look like the real thing.

Dean

Very nice work.

The last two posts (Mike's and your own) seem to say some lagging is on the cylinder. But I don't see it...or don't know what it looks like. Help!

W&W eh? That's okay. I'll worry when I see a M&W or W&M. Well no...I won't worry. I won't be surprised either. :big:

Thanks Zee.
You don't see lagging because there's none on it yet. I've been working on it, cutting some
staves out of model airplane wood. Popsicle sticks are too big, and I can't find anything
smaller, so they're being cut from sheet by hand. I'll show that in a day or two.

The "W" is for Williams, I think..

Dean

Dean, if you have a Starbucks swipe the wood stirs they have. They are significantly smaller than a Popsicle stick. Might just do the job for you.

If you do not have a Starbucks nearby I'll gladly go and swipe you some sticks.

Very Nice Dean,
I see you spent a lot of time screwing around with some hex stock (I know bad joke). It's coming along nicely

Tony

Deanofid said:
The "W" is for Williams, I think..

Oops. Sorry for that Dean. I didn't catch that.

Would balsa work? Can get that at hobby shops and easy to cut.

Most decent hobby shops should have a Midwest Products wood rack that includes small sizes of bass, walnut and mahogany strip wood in addition to the balsa. You should be able to find something suitable there.

FWIW, I wouldn't use balsa. It tends to be pretty "fuzzy." Harder woods aren't and will look much nicer with their tighter grain patterns. The wood lagging will be a prominent feature of the engine. Make sure you use quality stock here.

Thayer

cobra428 said:
Very Nice Dean,
I see you spent a lot of time screwing around with some hex stock (I know bad joke). It's coming along nicely

Be careful... He might put a 'hex' on you!

I'll get me coat....

:D

thayer said:
Most decent hobby shops should have a Midwest Products wood rack that includes small sizes of bass, walnut and mahogany strip wood in addition to the balsa. You should be able to find something suitable there.

FWIW, I wouldn't use balsa. It tends to be pretty "fuzzy." Harder woods aren't and will look much nicer with their tighter grain patterns. The wood lagging will be a prominent feature of the engine. Make sure you use quality stock here.

Thayer

I agree a nice walnut against the brass.....oh baby!

Tony

Thanks for the suggestions and nice comments, guys. Thanks for the jokes too, you two individuals.
(you know who your are..)

As far as Starbucks sticks go, I've never seen a Starbucks in my life. I may not
live in the middle of nowhere, but I'm only a few hundred yards from it.
Thanks for the offer, Mike. I'll take you up on it, even if they don't get used on
this project. They'll come in handy for others.

No hobby shops here either. Small town. 3500 souls in a spot in north-ish Idaho.
We have a John Deere dealership though. That makes up for a lot, doesn't it?

I do have a piece of thin balsa, and that's what I've been working with for the lagging staves.
I have a piece steamed and formed to match the radius of the cylinder heads, and had
started cutting the staves from it when I pooped out today.

Thayer, I know what you mean about "fuzzy" on balsa. If it doesn't look right, I won't use it.
Thanks for your suggestion. I have the piece I'm working with stained with a dark mahogany
and it might actually look good. We'll see.

Dean

Dean,

I'll put those sticks in the mail ASAIGC (As Soon As I Get Coffee)

Seriously though... Explain what the lagging does. Please.

Latest posts

Back