Browser

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I have used Visual Cad for 20 years and I am comfortable with it there is really no reason to change to something else. The program is updated on a regular basis so it stays current. I owned and operated a business where I designed and built special material handling equipment so I used the cad program a lot so it still feels comfortable. I can remember most of the commands without looking them up and I can also use the menu/mouse for the less frequent commands. I use it a lot to check parts as I make them. If I want to know how far to move the cutter I can just measure it in the program. Want to know if two parts fit together select one and move it to match the other part.
Makes sense, especially since the program is continuing to receive updates. That is unusual for a 20-year-old product!

Just out of curiosity looked up the history of Generic Cadd which I started with. It came out in the mid 1980's and was purchased by AutoCAD in 1989 and discontinued in 1997. Users were given AutoCAD LightI to replace the original program. I used Generic Cadd from the beginning when you bought the program on 5" floppy disks. Draw was on one disk, dimensions were on another disk etc. This was before hard drives so it meant a lot of switching disks. The previous developers of Generic Cadd developed the New/Improved Visual Cadd and took most of the user base with them. I guess that makes me old. I have been using the program for about 40 years. Now I am too old to switch.

The problem with Apple and also Linux is that a big part of my use is the 2D cad program that I still use for my hobby will only run on Windows. I have never used an iPad but I have done a little bit of experimenting with Linux and the cad program will run but not well. That is not only my limited experience but several others have also tried.
If you are disconnected from the internet, you will be fine using msux.

Latest posts

Back