Tool or Toy Mini PC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Guys:
I have been wanting a second /personal computer for a while. I have the OLD Toshiba Laptop that I got 7 years ago used at a computer show. I am seeing its useful life as about over. Nathan has a decent sized laptop fund so will be getting his own new laptop soon .
What do you folks think of this for me .Is it handy tool or overpriced toy ??? I can get one at BJ's next week for $250
ASUS EEE 2GB PC
I realize this would not be suitable for my only PC
Features 512 DDR and 2gig sshd
7"" screen
2.5 hour battery
3 USB 2 ports headphone jack mic jack monitor jack memory card reader Ethernet port
loaded office software
Built in wireless

Here are the strengths I see
Linux OS but XP compatible
Ultra portable can be used anywhere in the house or if I chose traveling.
Affordable would not break my tool budget ( I still want to CNC my machines )
no moving parts to break

Weaknesses:
Small screen size but can be plugged into monitor for stationary use.
Tiny Hard drive but can be supplemented with memory sticks/thumb drives I have a couple of 4gbs and a 2gb on hand
Application I could see myself using it for.
Running my CNC machines when I get them built ,hopefully soon.
Access to the web without having to compete for computer time with my wife.
Reading PDF files of old tech books anywhere in the house without sitting in front of the main computer. My collection is probably over a hundred titles.
Access to the web at Iron Fever.I could show folks stuff on line or research Items for sale that might be a good deal.
I looked at the video on tiger direct. and it seems to be a very usable little unit . That is as long as I do not have to spend another $250 to make it do what I want, as far as USB plug in accessories.
It seems to be a plug and play unit that is user friendly. It would likely choke and sputter if I tried to design the replacement for the space shuttle on it.But I think my brain would strain on that also LOL so opinions please.
Jim
AKA
Tin Falcon

Hi Tin,
Watch out for the small Key Board!!
Would You like to type on it for long ???

Hilmar

I have been using a Compaq TC1000 tablet computer for the past 2 years as both a travel computer and as my wife's PC in the kitchen for checking email. You can get these on eBay for less than $200, and would seem to be a far more usable machine than the one you mention.

The next model up, the TC1100 is faster, and can be had for about $400.

I was sold on the TC1000 as it is the size of a piece of paper and weighs about 2 pounds. I've carried it around the world, using it for wireless internet access. Runs XP.

We have one of the EEE's in my lab. It's a great little internet PC and ultra-portable. With little storage, you can't do much with it by itself, and even plug-in storage isn't a great way to do things. When they say 'XP compatible', they mean "if you had a USB CD drive and the right XP CD, you could ditch Linux and install XP on it". The Linux doesn't have drivers for every USB device either, so USB parallel and serial port adapters may be out-- I've not tried that.

I don't know how it will work for running CNC machines.. it might be underpowered for some of the programs, and obviously the only serial and parallel ports it has will be via USB converters.

I'd also check it out real hard on the keyboard / mouse usage if you think you'll need to be typing on it more than a little.

I actually know one guy who owns one of those.

He bought it for a single purpose.
It controls his drag racer.

The instant his toe taps the accelerator the computer program
takes over. It controls the fuel, checks for traction loss
shifts the transmission and releases the parachutes as soon
as he touches the brake.

All he has to do is steer and stand on a brake pedal at the appropriate
time.

He quite literally trusts it with his life...

Did I mention he's a very intelligent IDIOT! LOL

It is a very capable little computer if it's used within it's limits.

Rick

For what it's worth, you can more than likely pick up an old used PC and monitor for FREE that will have more storage and you'll actually be able to see the screen and type on the keyboard. Not to mention, it'll have all of the serial, USB, and parallel ports you'll need as a controller.

Why wouldn't you go this route and save a perfectly good machine from going to the landfill - rather than buying yet another consumer toy?

-Sparky

Latest posts

Back