British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive: he said

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zeeprogrammer said:
...the plate that holds the front buffers/bumpers...it's mounted 0.1 too high!!! How can that be? (Don't answer that...I know why.) Rats Rats and Rats.

Heh,heh.

Hey Zee, you could mount some "O" scale marker lights in the cab back holes...

Now wait a minute here Zeep, I've just been going back and forth between photos of your build and what if you removed the cabin floor and rotated it 180* and drilled new holes for mounting it back down, using now two holes in the rear :eek: (man that doesn't sound good) and one in the front, just the opposite of what is there now. Then your handrail problem would be corrected at least. Sorry about the front fender, that one may take a bit of work. Maybe fabricate a new,deeper, brass cross member that would allow for the fender to be mounted using the same holes rather than re-drilling and having that scar showing.

BC1
Jim

Yeah....thought about that Jim...but then I'd have 4 holes (two each side), very obviously wanting to be filled (man that doesn't sound good). I'm kind of liking the idea of reversing the hand rails. The two holes in the rear plate of the cabin can be left open or, as Paul suggested, used to mount some lights or something.

As for the front plate...I haven't checked if the boiler interferes with it...if not...then I'm leaving it alone...otherwise...I'll drill two more holes...move it down...and not tell anyone. ;D

Okay okay...I went and looked...Ah ha! 'Bum-ness' must have left the building! It looks like the boiler is mounted 'this' side of the front plate! I shouldn't have to move it! Well...we'll see.

I know 'Bum-ness' will return...but that's okay...we're old friends. ;D

Zee

You could use your extra holes at the rear for mounting some nice brass grab-rails. As to the front plate issue, just grind down your track by 0.1 :big:

Looking good so far, keep it up! We want MORE.

Cheers, Joe

Oh, Zee... "Bum-ness" does not play favorites. He's been to my house lots. (IOW, my box of scrap is bigger than yours. Neener, neener.).
He's not getting you to make the same mistakes over and over!

Glad the front bumper/plate/thing will work out. For the handrails, I'd make the near one like the far one, and have it look like it's supposed to be that way. I mean, just flip that top rail, or make a second one, and leave the uprights alone. But, it's your potty.

Dean

joe d said:
You could use your extra holes at the rear for mounting some nice brass grab-rails. As to the front plate issue, just grind down your track by 0.1

I was liking the grab-rail idea...and then I read the rest. You funny guy you. ;D Thanks Joe.

Deanofid said:
"Bum-ness" does not play favorites. He's been to my house lots.

Well...that's a bummer. ;D
"Neener?" You made a "Neener" at me? No one "Neeners" me. I'll get ya...and your little 'Neen' too.

So I 'fixed' the handrails by just drilling a hole in the front of the cab and mounting them 'backwards' to the plan. However, I'm thinking this is the way they belong. Why would I step up into the fire side of the cab? I was just talking to someone...(the guy with the initials 'r', 'a', 't')...about the last scene in "Back to the Future III". The whole family comes up to the front of the cab where the firebox is. Hm.

Managed the drive wheels. 1018 steel. This went easier than the front wheels (aluminum) but I think it's because of the learning I got. I should have done the axle after the wheels. But a touch on it allowed a nice close fit. Again, I used the rotary table and collets to drill the spoke holes...but I had to remove the chuck in order to switch out to a chuck to drill the small hole for the crank pin.

The downside was deburring the spoke holes. I used a larger drill bit and tried to deburr by hand. Kind of choppy. I may go back with some sand paper and a dowel to make it look better.

aa8d04e1.jpg

Went by the hobby store and picked up one straight length of O-27 track.

09d30e7c.jpg

Still a lot to do...fuel tank, pistons and cylinders, and the boiler! It wouldn't take so long if I didn't have to watch out for rodents or Neeners. And...now that the weather is improving...the basement seems to be attracting wild life again.

Deburring small holes...

Save your small broken center drills. Make a handle to hold them (e.g., 3/8" rod). They work well.

Never discard any broken drill, endmill, tap. There's always something useful you can make from them. As another example, broken taps can be ground down to one remaining "tooth" and used for internal single point threading.

Thanks Marv. Good tips. I've been saving everything...even the drill bit that looks like a 'J'. ;D

Seriously though...to do the safety valve and possibly the burners...I'm thinking to grind one of the busted drill bits and use it as a...gasp...'D' reamer. Not sure yet...I haven't checked the dimensions...although that's the suggestion for making the safety valve.

Think I'm kidding about the 'J' bit? Here it is...

cb2077bd.jpg

I don't remember the circumstances...but nothing was soiled.

Gees Z', The "M" guy looks like he's wielding a crowbar......... It's a RUMBLE!!!

BC1
Jim

With the loco sitting on that piece of track it's official - it's a loco for sure.

But now I'm confused ??? Is the penny in the photo a real one or a bogus eBay blowup? ::)

Cheers,
Phil

All those steel parts, Zee. I remember you had some trepidation about machining steel. Looks like you're up the learning curve by at least two time constants.

Next one twice as big?

-Trout

That looks fab, Zee. Sitting on the bit of rail, it's looking just as it should.. Very good.
I'm likin' it so much!

Dunno what kind of bits you bought there, but if you can bend one in that shape, it must not be very hard stuff. It shoulda broke!

neener!!

Dean(er)

OH, and you know what else?
The handrails really should be like you made them, so when you put your foot up, if you slip, you won't be right in front of the rolling wheel, what will cut your toes off. 'Course, if it's pulling cars, you're going to be in a bad way...

Dean

Thanks Jim.

Philjoe5 said:
Is the penny in the photo a real one ... ?

Thanks Phil. No...it's a photo of a real one. ;D (It's real...stolen from my daughter.)

Thanks Dean. Sure...let's all jump up onto a moving train. ;D
Yeah it does seem the bit should've broke! Hm.
Keep those neeners coming and those 3000 miles between us won't matter. :big:

Couldn't stand seeing your thread drop to page two, Zee;

Neener.

Argh.

Deanofid said:
Couldn't stand seeing your thread drop to page two, Zee;

Nice way of saying I'm not busy? Well I am...planning. Remember?

Hey Vernon...you might not be the only one in your class. :big:

Can't complain about the pics though. Nice stuff. I hope you're the one that did them. ;D

Hey everyone...go visit Dean's website...leave a message...tell him "Neenee" sent you. Let me know if you need any suggestions for a 'message'.

Maybe we both have a little too much time on our hands? :big:

zeeprogrammer said:
Argh....tell him "Neenee" sent you.

Does this mean that when you're wearing your Tutu you are Ninette?

I'm scared. Really really scared. ( :big:)

When I'm in my tutu...I'm in my fightin' garb...so yeah...be scared.

But I'm talking about 'fighting off'...not 'getting it on'. Unless you got money....you planning an untoward advance?

I look good! I do! 291 people thought so. (40 years ago.)

You know what I think this is about? I think Dean is after my tutu. But it won't help him.

By the way, whether in my tutu or not...it's 'Mister'.

Sincerely,

Mister Zee

Latest posts

Back