British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive: he said

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Trout.

Today was one of those days that make you question whether you should change jobs or not. I came home pretty upset. Okay...stinking upset. I mean P.O.'d.

So I didn't think I'd be doing anything machining wise. But I was already bummed about wasting away last night so I went at it. And I'm glad I did...I'm still pretty pissed...but at least I managed to accomplish something on my own terms. You all know what that means.

f381c1ab.jpg

These are the cylinder covers. They are a press fit into the cylinder. I was pleased that I managed to turn them to the required diameter.

The problem was the little vent hole (0.04). Initially I tried mounting the part in the vise. That was a mistake. Crushed the sides just a tad. You might be able to tell...it's the right one. Instead I fell back on the great teachings and experience of this forum...and made a split collet from aluminum. Then it was easy.

I'm running out of lathe parts and getting closer to doing the boiler. That should be fun. All according to plan! The weather will be warm enough for me to try my hand at silver soldering outside...or at least in the garage. I didn't relish doing it in the basement...not until I have some experience. And you all know how well I do with stairs so a fast escape can't be counted on. :big:

I hope making chips took some of the crumbs out of your day, Zee.
The caps turned out nice.

Careful on those stairs, and chin up!

Dean

Looking great Zee.
I hope tomorrow goes better for you at work too.

Hi Zee,
Silver Soldering and testing burners is best done outside even when mobility is not an issue.
Regards,
Gerald.

Deanofid said:
I hope making chips took some of the crumbs out of your day

Thanks Dean...the chips did.

tmuir said:
I hope tomorrow goes better for you at work too.

Thanks tmuir It didn't. ;D

steamboatmodel said:
Silver Soldering and testing burners is best done outside even when mobility is not an issue.

Thanks Gerald. Yeah...outside is my first choice. 2nd choice is the garage near the open doors.

A little done today...the pivot pins and the piston rod ends.

I'm pretty happy with the pivot pins...nice close fit in two places...the cylinder and the porting blocks. Also happy that this time I got the screwdriver slot well centered. Used the 5C collet blocks and was happy again that I'd gotten them. (Thanks Marv!)

I was a little confused about the piston rod ends because the drawing didn't show the hole for the crank pins. I found that reference in an assembly drawing...the holes get drilled after they are pressed onto the rods.

a4a15619.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Looks good Zee. Nice work on some small parts. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Phil

WOW Zee, you're really stepping up :bow:
Great looking parts - you're definitely turning Pro now!

Thanks for looking.
That's always a pleasure ;D

Kind regards, Arnold

Hi Zee

WOW :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: looking great

Regards Rob

Nicely done Z'. You have most definitely "come a long way baby" and I do not mean to reference nicotine ads either. (remember those? what brand?) ::) ;D

BC1
Jim

Again Zee, you're making excellent progress, and things are looking so well made.
Those screwdriver slots can be touchy. Ya done good, (on everything).

Dean

Got nothing done today but I wanted to respond to everyone's kind words.

Thanks Robert. And I do watch the stairs...flying by. ;D When you change the units from 6 feet to 6 inches...you get a whole different perspective.

Thanks Phil.

Thanks Arnold. Long long way to Pro.

Thanks Rob.

Thanks Jim...I'm thinking Virginia Slims. I remember when they came out.

Thanks Dean. I enjoyed doing those screwdriver slots. Vernon was a big help some time ago with using a slitting saw.

Couldn't bring myself to do anything today. My mind has been on work work. That will change shortly (at least for a while)...both daughters are here, wife is home from Europe, and everyone is preparing a fantastic Easter dinner.

I'm starving.

Happy Easter everyone.

Hey Zee, you're really doing a nice job on those parts, but I keep waiting for the boiler. When are you going to start the boiler? ;)

Chuck

cfellows said:
but I keep waiting for the boiler. When are you going to start the boiler?

Ah...the plan is working. I figured I could keep stringing people along if I held out on the boiler. :big:

I could argue I've started. I have a bit of wood dowel I'm going to use to help support the drain pipe while I cut it.

Step 1 is to sand it down so it fits inside the drain pipe.
...darn...
Step 1a is go to the store and buy some sandpaper.

Zee, how much is the dowel over size ? - it might be easier to just turn it down to size with a sharp toolbit in the lathe. From paste experience with sandpaper made for wood - even the high quality wood paper sheds a lot of grit when used...

Just my 2 cents...

Regards, Arnold

Thanks Arnold.

The dowel almost fits. In fact it goes in about 1.5" before things tighten to the point I worry about getting it out. I've thought about turning it but I've never turned wood before and doubt I can support and center it well enough. Too much cut and there might be too much space between the dowel and pipe.

I think it's close enough to sand by hand so I don't need to worry about grit and the machines.

Thanks!

Its coming along very well Zee. Can't wait to see this little guy run! Keep up all the good work

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Well...in my last post I said I wanted to sand the dowel down rather than turning it because of the need to support and center it.

All day I've been thinking about that...

Well not that actually...

What I'd been thinking is I'd come home and find one of you fine fellows reminding me that I'd have to do that in order to trim the pipe. That's the whole point of having the dowel!!!

But aha...it's 'this' fine fellow who gets to say 'dolt'.

To late for you but keep your eyes open...I provide many opportunities.

Zee, you need to go buy some solder and flux before you can start that boiler, right?
That will take most of an afternoon...

Just want to make sure you have enough rope.

Dean

Latest posts

Back