British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive: he said

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rod is sticking out about 1.5 inch. Too far? 1/4 diameter trying to get it down to 0.11 but I'm still at 0.2.

Zee,
I think 1.5 inch of overhang for a 1/4" rod going down to 0.11" is a bit much. I would do this in at least 3 - 4 steps letting about 3/8" extend out for turning down. Turn 3/8" down to 0.11", then extend the work out another 3/8" and repeat.

Also, I've found when turning these small diameters I get better results with a hand feed on my lathe. Reason being, for turning a 1/4" piece, you want at least 600 rpm, but on my 9x20 the slowest autofeed is 0.0023"/rpm. That gives you too fast a feed rate for a decent finish. Just my experience FWIW.

Cheers,
Phil

zeeprogrammer said:
The rod is sticking out about 1.5 inch. Too far? 1/4 diameter trying to get it down to 0.11 but I'm still at 0.2. It doesn't even look good near the chuck. Also tried power feed both forward and reverse.

Yes, way too far out of the chuck, Zee. Rule of thumb, (means not set in stone), 2-3 x diameter.
Think of a one inch diameter rod. Would be like having it sticking out of the chuck 6". Much too much.

But, bad near the chuck also says tool problem, spindle slow/carriage too fast, or loose gib.
I would take a quick check of the gibs, then sharpen the tool and re-center. With a sharp tool, small tip radius, so you can barely see it, then try slowest feed with a spindle speed of about 800-1300 rpm. Somewhere in there will get you right.
Like you said, center in the loose end.

Dean

I, like Dave, made one of the little steam locos back in the late 70's. Dickens is what they call it in Live Steam Magazine.

I dug out my old Live Steam magazines. The Dickens is serialized in the February, March and April 1976 issues. It's a cute little rascal.

Orrin

No progress in days, Zee, and your thread is one stop from falling to page two. Thought you needed a bump to the top.
This might be trashing your thread, but at least it will keep it from tumbling into the dump!

Almost as good as a neener moment...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrfSGeTsJGE[/ame]

Take that, my M&M tutu friend.

Thanks Orrin.
Your post reminds me of all the machining, model engineering, and railroading magazines I came across as a kid. They're a major reason why I got hooked on this. I was always amazed (and still am) by what people can do. I so wish I'd been able to keep all the stuff I came across.

Dean!

My first reaction was...

"you lousy, no good, stinking, Jelly Belly eating, happy you're in Idaho and not here to buy my M&Ms....did I mention stinking?...crummy, good guy, skilled, did I mention stinking?...Twinkie eating,..."

My second reaction was...

deja vu

My third reaction was...

"Rats...I can't believe I threw out all my cool M&M stuff. I'd show him."

But yeah...I'm really struggling to get into the shop. 3 weekends in a row of moving mulch makes for a tired zeepie...not to mention work work. And this weekend was especially tough. Daughter #2's birthday...and she wanted the pool ready.

If you knew me...you'd all want to be my daughters. I never (rarely, maybe sometimes) say no. :big:

It's good to see you're back in form Dean. Or not.

I got the following link from a fellow member...
I was going to wait and see if he was going to post it on the forum...
Or, I was going to wait for an appropriate time and post it on the forum...
I decided to post it now...and circumvent any other low, under-handed, attacks at my ..ahem...personhood...

If I owned a bowling ball...it would be manlyhood...but that's another story.

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/rWylZls5JLvtXhQ1

You all need to watch out for this guy. He's apparently capable of anything.
His name is Rick Martin...he goes by 'black85vette'...
Rick Martin. Remember that. 'black85vette'.
He's in Oklahoma and has apparently forgotten that I'm from Missouri. I'll be in Missouri in two weeks. If you don't hear from him after May 17th...think of me.

That's right Rick. Two weeks. Start exercising your neck...you need to look behind you.

:big: He says.

I'd like to know how he got that film of me. Must be 30 years now.

oh that is absolutely hilarious..... almost had tears from laughing...... beautiful!! Rof}

mklotz said:
Kind of makes me sorry I own a computer.

Yeah, disturbing on so many levels, but you can't stop looking... and laughing!

Chuck

Zee, up 'til now, your secret was safe.
You should have put this in the Q&A section, 'cause I'm sure everyone now has questions, and really can't wait to hear your answers.
(Like, where'd you get them jeans, and do they come in a 40" waist?)

cfellows said:
Yeah, disturbing on so many levels, but you can't stop looking... and laughing!

Chuck

Kinda like a train wreck, or a 40 car pile-up on the highway...

OMG!!!!!! That is just SOOOooooo WRONG. :D

"If Grandma had wheels she'd have been a wagon" is how the old saying goes but Zeep, and I really hate to be the one to tell you this, but your wheels fell off a LONG time ago. Dude! Put some clothes on, you're embarrassing us.

Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}

BC1
Jim

Well so much for the blackmail idea!!! :big:

Zee; got my special rear view bicycling glasses so I will keep an eye out for you. Actually we will be in Missouri about the same time as you so I am safe because you don't know where in MO I will be.

Then again maybe I will be there waiting for you to show up. Anticipatory retaliation. Get them before they get you. That way it is not revenge.

black85vette said:
That way it is not revenge.

Right, it's Prevenge! From the vid, it looks like you already got a big pile of that, Rick.
What a stinker you are, in the best way.
:D

Dean

Hey Zee!

Where's the Loco? I was going to see what progress you've made.

This look's like a good book, but I didn't read all the prequels so I'm a little lost. I'll read it someday if they don't make a movie out of it. :big:
But where's them thar loco pictures?

:big:

(Everybodies a critic)
Kermit

What we have to ask ourselves is...

How many of you watched until it was finished?
Worse...how many of you rewound?
Aha!

...bunch of sick people around here...sick...

:big:

Kermit...sorry for the lack of progress...been a little 'derailed'...

zeeprogrammer said:
...bunch of sick people around here...sick...

Thank you my good man, I resemble that remark. And yes, I watched it in its entirety. I always was a sucker for a good bump and grind. ;D :eek: ???

BC1
Jim

I have to admit, zee, I watched it all the way through. But only once. Then immediately poured bleach in my eyes kissed my wife.

Latest posts

Back