British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive: he said

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zeeprogrammer said:
To late for you but keep your eyes open...I provide many opportunities.

WE KNOW. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

To late for you but keep your eyes open...I provide many opportunities.

We'll be watching very closely now. I'm keeping one of these :Doh: handy.

Cheers,
Phil

Deanofid said:
you need to go buy some solder and flux before you can start that boiler
Just want to make sure you have enough rope.

solder...check
flux...check
rope...check

Maryak said:

Argh. Fortunately the basement fridge is 4 ft from me. I'll just go get some ice for my forehead after walking into that one. Ah...better yet...there's some cold ones in there I can use both externally and internally.

Philjoe5 said:
We'll be watching very closely now.

You weren't before? I'm bummed. :big:

I had no plans to do any machining tonight...but it called to me.
Or was it you guys pushing me?
In any case...the work day was good...so I thought I'd have a go.

Here's the pipe mounted in the lathe on the dowel. I centered it as best I could but I wasn't too concerned since I all wanted to do is trim...

9372b5ed.jpg

Here's the one end trimmed off...

5fb8e161.jpg

As slow as I went...I stalled the motor a couple of times.

I had a whiff of something familiar...but it eluded me...for the moment. (And it's not what you think...I know that smell very well.) Here's the other end trimmed.

70ec6e62.jpg

Ah...the smell...yes...very familiar...I was a kid...piece of wood...woodburning tool in my hand...burning pictures...wait...wrong hobby...

And the final picture of...what? Boiler? Pipe? Drain? More rope?

3961b4ff.jpg

Very cool Zee. Now I can go back to watching just closely. ;D

Cheers,
Phil

Looking good Z', I do like the step-down in the tube, it lends itself to the look of one of the older locomotive boiler shells. Kewl 8)

BC1
Jim

Very Nice Zee

Following along closely :) :) :)

Jeff

Looking good, Zee. You had me going with the smell thing.

Sy:
"Hey Gert, did you ever smell a clown?"

Gert:
"No Sy. What do they smell like?"

Sy:
"Oh, you know. They smell kinda... funny."

G'nite, folks.

Dean

Very neat Zee, :bow: :bow:

I thought the burning smell may have been high speed flatulence. :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

Very nice Zee great finish on your engine,

As for burning smell in the shop:- I've been known to set fire/melt things when using my propane torch:- not recommended.

Have fun

Stew

Cool, I love the look the chrome gives it.

Looking really good Zee.

Nice work!

Zee,
I just thought about it but when tmuir said chrome.....I went oh s....t, I don't think you can solder to chrome plating. Maybe you can, I never tried. Watch out for the fumes if you try.

Tony

Zee, I just happened acros this thread. Your work looks really good. I constructed a model of "Dickens" years ago. I used a piece of brass drain pipe for the boiler. It would run under steam while supported, but did not have enough power to pull itself. I don't know where I read it, but these small boilers are very sensitive to being over-constructed. By that, I mean a thicker boiler shell is not necessarily better. I came to the conclusion that I needed to construct another boiler using a thinner boiler shell thickness (thinwall brass tubing). That is still on my to do list. Hopefully, yours will steam O.K., but if you have problems with steam production, you may want to keep this in mind. Rick

Good going Carl Thm:

What did you use as cutting fluid ? - I see two tell-tale marks of spotted stripes behind the lathe on the wood... If it was oil and your better half's doing the laundry, she might complain :big:

Regards, Arnold

Philjoe5 said:
Now I can go back to watching just closely.

Just happy that you're watching. ;D

Thanks Jim!

Thanks Jeff!

Ah Dean. So you're a stand-up comedian wanna-be eh? Stick to machining. ;D

Maryak said:
I thought the burning smell may have been high speed flatulence.

No no. I'm very careful when it comes to that. I'm well acquainted with Newton..."for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction".

Thanks Stew.
Thanks tmuir.
Thanks kustomkb.

cobra428 said:
I don't think you can solder to chrome plating.

I think you're right although I have no experience there. But the instructions have me sand off the chrome at the ends. That should be interesting to get that right. Thanks for the warning about fumes. I'll be doing this outside.

Thanks rickhann. Oh I'm sure there will be many reasons why I don't get steam up. ;D Thanks for the warning though. The kit uses a purchased drain vent pipe. How thin is thin?

arnoldb said:
I see two tell-tale marks of spotted stripes behind the lathe on the wood... If it was oil and your better half's doing the laundry, she might complain

Hey Arnold. Well then...I'm sure you see the big stain underneath from all the prior work! And regardless of what I'm doing...change 'might' to 'will' and you'll begin to understand her. Not to worry though! After 34 years of marriage...my grovelling is unsurpassed! I should write a book..."How to get out of trouble"...I'd make millions. And if you believe that...I also have this bridge for sale. (That relates to method 1: pay her off.)

Man I hope I get time in the shop this weekend. She's ordered 7 yards of mushroom soil that I have to help distribute...I have to till the garden...open the pool...babysit...

Doesn't anyone want to buy that bridge? Cheap!

Aaahhh, and I was just about to ping you on a boiler status update! That looks suspiciously like a chrome plated brass drain pipe. Very nice! This is really getting interesting.

Chuck

Yep Chuck. It is a chrome plated brass drain pipe. Well not anymore. ;D

Stuck. Was going to start turning the end caps for the boiler. They're brass. But my chuck is too small. The jaws fall out when I try to move them out to diameter. I think the reverse jaws won't work either...the part will be to far inside.

The two alternatives I have is to go for the 4-jaw or buy a bigger 3-jaw chuck. If I use the 4-jaw...I'm thinking I can do the trepanning and then move to the 3-jaw and grip from the inside to turn the OD a touch and face the back.

I don't think I can get a purchase past my wife. I haven't paid the spring-time dues (gardening) yet.

Any other thoughts?

Howdy Z', I'm not sure what length of brass you have to work with but what about soft soldering a short stub on to the back side of what I assume is a disk and go on about your merry way. The trepanning could be accomplished and the part reheated and removed. Hope this is a help to you, I'd hate to see progress being held up due to a lack of equipment, not to mention the serious injury :hDe: that could befall such charming lad as yourself should the bride find out about a stray purchase. :big:

BC1
Jim

Latest posts

Back