Briggs & Stratton 6S - A Beginnig

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill, that really looks the part, it's brilliant!

Thanks Nick...Hope to have more to show in the next day or so.

Bill

Here are fa few pictures on the progress of the gas tank. The original was die stamped as a top and bottom half and them seam welded together. Not practical for a one off so I am machining it out of brass in two halves with a brass spacer between them to simulate the flanges on the original that were seam welded. The top and bottom halves have been roughed out but the corner and edge rounding has yet to be done. The wall thickness will obviously be thicker than the original but the outside dimensions will match the original and I hope will give it a nice scale appearance. I am planning on soldering the three pieces together once all the final contouring and rounding is finished.

View attachment Gas-Tank-001a.jpg

Gas Tank 002.jpg

View attachment Gas-Tank-004a.jpg

View attachment Gas-Tank-005a.jpg

wlindiii,
I went to a trophy place and had a plate engraved. $5.00 I gave it a light coat of clear polyu

IMG_0441.jpg

Tony

Tony,
That plate looks very nice and I would certainly consider that as a nameplate for the final project like adding it to the base or something. I was after duplicating the plate on the full size engine verbatim...didn't count the actual words but somewhere around 100 or so all reduced to a 1.4" x 1.3" square. Some of the fonts sizes were 6pt and then reduced to 40% of that in the printed copy. Not sure how small a print these engravers can manage. Some of it I can't even read without a magnifying glass. Not sure either with that word count that they would do it for $5.00. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Bill

Good going Bill - the gas tank is looking great so far ;D

Regards, Arnold

Bill,
"The Made in the USA" at the bottom is very small. Magnification required. My placard is about 1 x .75 inches.
I gave the engraver an ACAD DXF file and he just brough it in to his software. It's nice to know for some future project.

Tony

One more picture to add and that is the full size tank next to the half scale one in progress. It shows all the corner rounding and edge rounding that still has to be done. The extension for the gas tank cap and the cap will need to be turned from brass too. The internal threading of the cap might be a little tricky or more likely one of those times the lathe chuck is just turned by hand as there is only about 1 1/4 threads in the cap itself. Today at least i do want to get the corners rounded on both the top and bottom halves of the tank.

IMG_0030.JPG

with 8 corners to round I made up a quick and dirty locating ring to match the inside radius of the tank halves snd screwed it to the threaded center of the rotary table with a sacrificial scrap part as shown in photo 1. Each tank corner could then be located on the ring and clamped down to mill the outside corner radius as in photo 2,
After a little surface finishing its beginning to look a little more like the prototype.

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

It's getting there in good fashion, Bill. Very nice.

Dean

Here are some updated pics of the gas tank. As much of the edge rounding as possible was done with a corner rounding end mill, but the rest had to be roughed out with the Dremel, then lots of hand filing and sanding to blend the contours and eliminate the machine marks, and finally buffing as I have noted in another thread today (re: New Toy). I coming along slowly but steadily and so far am pleased with the results. Working on the filler extension and cap now and then will be ready to solder it all up.

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

Really nice, Bill. Very much the image of the full sized item.

Dean

Thanks Dean,
I hope when all is said and done it will be a reasonable facsimile orf the original from an appearance standpoint. Funny thing is that it is almost impossible to scale the already thin wall thicknesses of the original, so I have opted instead to preserve the outside appearance...but in doing so, and in using brass...its going to be probably as heavy as the full size tank if not heavier! As the .pdf below shows there is still a lot of material left on the inside and in the walls.

View attachment BS6S-Gas Tank.pdf

Gas Tank is finished excapt for the soldering which I will get done this week and hope like crazy it doesn't mess up the work that has gone itno it thus far. Last night and this morning I made the filler extension and gas cap which makes it look more like what it is. Now on to the cylinder head !!

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

Yeah, it looks like a little Briggs gas tank, Bill. Very good.
I watch for your posts on this build. Can't help thinking this will be one of the
coolest engines made here, when it's done.

Dean

Dean,
Thanks again for the kind comments, you and Rick both have been an inspiration for keeping the post going. I know others are looking and i can appreciate that it isn't the fastest build going but the feedback is much appreciated. By the way i have looked at your web page and its quite impressive too!

Bill

Very nice work Bill, :)

Look forward to your progress...

Jeff

Speedy and Jeff,
Thanks for the comments and for taking a look at the build.

Bill

Latest posts

Back