Briggs & Stratton 6S - A Beginnig

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b.lindsey

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Well some of the first chips have been made on a new project, a half scale model of a 1950's B & S 6S engine. I picked up the full size engine in non-working condition at a swap a year or so back. It was missing the gas tank, carb, and air filter and from the outset I wish to thank rake60 for his generosity in loaning these three items to me to make drawings from.

Though several other parts have been drawn so far, I started making chips with the air filter assembly. The body and cap were finished today with one additional part of the assembly to go (the cartridge to hold the filter media) which in the model version will be made as a separate piece.

Below are some pictures of the two parts noted above.

#1 The top side of the air filter cover
#2 Hollowing out the underside of the cover

AF1 002.jpg

AF1 001.jpg

The main body of the air filter was next. These 4 photos show the initial lathe steps to form the lower step of the filter body and hollowing out the inside:

AF1 005.jpg

AF1 006.jpg

AF1 007.jpg

AF1 007.jpg

AF1 008.jpg

Great start!

I can't remember if you talked about this elsewhere..but is there a pic or drawing of the complete engine? Sorry for my impatience to know what it is.

The final three pictures show the mill work and RT work to add some additional internal relief and the finished parts separately and together.

AF1 014.jpg

AF1 010.jpg

AF1 012.jpg

AF1 012.jpg

I'm impressed already Bill!
Beautiful reproduction on the air cleaner body! :bow:
Please keep us updated as you go.

Rick

Ah! Thanks Bill. I guess my memory isn't totally shot. ;D
Smaller than I'd thought. Looking forward to more.

Bill,

This looks like a really interesting project, will be watching it unfold!

Nick!

Made a little more progress today as I found a piece of stock that would work well for the starter hub. A few pictures follow.

SH1 001.jpg

SH1 002.jpg

SH1 003.jpg

SH1 004.jpg

Shown here is the addition of the slot for the rope pull and the finished hub. Next up will be the final piece of the air filter and then the flywheel.

SH1 005.jpg

SH1 006.jpg

One last post for today. While I was thinking of it I took a picture of the original full size parts with the half scale parts next to them. Maybe this will give a better idea of relative sizes.

SBS1 002.jpg

SBS1 002.jpg

SBS1 003.jpg

SBS1 004.jpg

SBS1 005.jpg

Very nice work. Eagerly awaiting more.

Ron

Bill,
This is really going to be interesting! Very nice work.
Dennis

Hi Bill

This is a SUPER project you are building. I love your photos with the original part and your manufactured half scale part beside it. I will be following your post with keen interest. Keep up the good work and good luck with your project. I too would be interested in a set of plans whenever they are finalized. - Billmc

Thanks to all for the comments even though there is a LONG way to go!! I will continue to take pictures of both the set-ups and the full size and scale parts as each is completed. Although several other parts are drawn, I am still trying to determine the best way to make some of them, especially if the original was a stamping like the main shroud, gas tank etc. The journey should be fun and I hope interesting for others to follow.

Bill

Not as much progress the last week or so...mainly just finishing the insert (filter media holder) for the air filter. A few pictures of that are below:

AF1 015.jpg

AF1 016.jpg

AF1 017.jpg

I like the look and size of that little chuck riding in your rotary table. Is it a morse taper one? And where did you purchase it?

The air filter is probably a gross overkill of what is needed but am trying to stay as true to the original as possible. The pics below show how it should work...the top lips of the insert will seal against the air filter cap leaving a gap for air to enter and flow down between the OD of the insert and the ID of the filter body. It will enter the bottom of the insert through the 8 holes and up through the filter and then back down the center bore of the insert via the 4 angled holes and into the carb. Not sure what to use for filter media yet :-\. The only other progress is the pull starter cord and handle. Some 1/8" nylon cord and a short piece of 5/8 dowel rod were used for that...no pic yet as the handle is being varnished now. Next up is the flywheel and i'm ready to begin on it now.

AF1 019.jpg

AF1 018.jpg

Kermit, its the standard Sherline 3 jaw for the lathe....3/4"-16 threaded mount IIRC. There is a threaded hole in the RT and an adapter for mounting the chuck to the RT. As shown, the RT is also mounted to an angle table.

Bill

That looks good,
I have an old motor that looks like that attached to an old saw table I will have t look again to see what kind it is.
-B-

Latest posts

Back