Bowl Turning Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShedBoy

Reaction score
Don't you hate it when you say "I can give you a hand with making that" thinking that they won't get around to it then they do. Well here is what kept interupting me today. Building this to turn a wooden bowl up to 800mm diameter and 250mm deep. I am not going to be the first to anything that large on it.
DSCF2030.jpg

Substantial beams cut up
DSCF2031.jpg

Some feet so it will stand
DSCF2035.jpg

Big no brain welding more my style.
DSCF2040.jpg

Where we are up to so far
DSCF2037.jpg

Tool rest will be built off the arm sticking out the side and needs some gussetting below the spindle.

Brock

Special bowl turning lathes are quite often of a home brew nature. The biggest question I have is with the speed of rotation of the bowl blank. It appears that with the driven pulley as shown on the head stock, this will be rather fast for the initial cuts on an out of balance blank. This could create some excitment on initial startup. I have seen smaller lathes dance rather wildly around the shop when started with a poorly balanced block of wood mounted. It seems to take forever to slow down after you hit the stop button. :eek:

That pulley was on the spindle when I bought it and still needs to be removed. I am going to get some 4 row 1 inch bore pulleys for it and maybe a reduction to that as well. A gearbox from a motorbike was also throw up against a wall to see if it sticks. At the size my mate wants to turn it is going to be slow. It is built with a max diameter of 800mm.

Brock

Yes I should have been wearing long pants because I don't usually do this much 200amp plus welding at once. Ended up with some nice sunburn from it on me legs :'( bit tender. Lots of galvo fumes too from that one piece hence the fan in the door to clear the shed when the welder went off and I went outside.

Brock

Nice job, I've seen a couple of big bowl lathe builds on the net before. Must be fun turning a section of tree trunk!

Vic.

I ain't gonna go first. I will be standing back holding the video camera. If it is not required for an inquiry I will post the video :big:
The owner is left handed so I will build it to suit him.

Brock

I once turned a 14" bowl from two pieces of Teak glued together - during the roughing it blew apart.

Apart from the damage to the underwear I got off scott free - but I've been very leery of a large bowls ever since.

Ken

This thing is sounding more and more like a bad idea. I am in charge of building it because I have no faith in my mates welding either does he for that matter. He is a farm boy and thinks all welds break eventually. I seen him weld some 20mm plate,butt weld with no beveling :eek:. When I quizzed him about weld prep he said "no worries I will weld the other side as well. After watching 4 sticks go into a continuous bead the two plates were not flat any more, more banana shape. Easy park a tractor on it to flatten it them weld it next to the tyre :eek: Amazing.
He did complain the whole time about the amount of bevelling I made him do on these parts.
Quote "Waste of time this is"
Brock

Has there been more progress? looking forward to it!

No he has been out of town so I have been doing some of my things. Picked up some pulleys and bearings and have found a motor to run it. Built a furnace over the last couple of days, in home foundry area. Just waitng for the sun to come up and going to pull the form work out. To many projects but it keeps me home and out of trouble.
Brock

What size motor are you planning on using? Last one I saw was something like 10HP.

Vic.

The largest size it can turn is 800mm, the slowest speed we are looking for is about 200rpm maybe a bit less. The lowest ratio we have is 14.5-1. The motor we are going to start with is a 1.25hp at 2850rpm to see how it goes. If this is not big enough we have a 3hp and a 10hp laying around. I am sick of this sitting in the middle of my shed so more will be done next week when I get back to the man cave.

Brock

Got some more done on the bowl turning lthe today. Turned up a jackshaft and a bearing housing.
PIC_00012.jpg

PIC_0006.jpg

Made a mistake on the shaft was not thinking and went to far on one cut :mad: it will still work okay and will be hidden by the pulley. Still I know it is there. I will make an adjustable mount for the bearing over the next few days.

Brock

My mate come around yesterday so we done some work on the lathe.
PIC_0002.jpg

Got the jack shaft mounted
PIC_0001.jpg

Pulleys lined up
PIC_0004.jpg

Motor mounted
PIC_0005.jpg

Spins realy nice.
We had a casualty when putting the pulley on the motor, it broke. Had another pulley laying around which is a bit bigger so it spins a bit fast at the moment. Tail stock and tool rest to go. Oh and a weight to put on the motor to keep the belt in tension, motor weight is not quite enough.
Brock

Looking really nice, I like bigger projects. Are you going to paint it a nice colour? - red oxide is a bit old hat now ;D

Vic.

PS I hope we're going to see it in action when it's done!

Paint will be determined by the owner as I hate painting at the best of times. Red oxide may be old hat to some but old school to others. The paint on the it is not a primer it is a two pack paint which looks a bit like red oxide, this material is recycled from a printers shed where the owner works. Knowing the owner I can't see paint going on it anytime soon as he only likes to do what is necessary eg: he won't let me weld up the hole in the bottom of his boat because "There is not much water coming through" zany character but a good mate. There will definately be a video of it running.

nice job Mate :)
Pete

Hey Brock,

I for one get nervous around big lathes of any kind....be careful....that one has potential ::)

Nice welding job! :bow:

Dave

We will start with small items. I have told him to build a lean to out on his farm for it to go in with a large concrete block set into the ground to bolt it to. It is looking more and more scary but it has been done before so in theory it should work. Not looking forward to interupted cuts on a 700 diameter with a hand held tool :-\
Anyone have plans for a scroll chuck on the large side?

Brock

Latest posts

Back