Bowl Turning Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a big lathe in action:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEO43Zo6CbY[/ame]

Vic.

The wobble would have me worried. I would always be thinking "is that getting worse". He seems to have very long handle tools also, probably help at times. Gives me some direction for the tool post also no tail stock. Thanks for the video.

Brock

Anyone have plans for a scroll chuck on the large side?

I was thinking more like a good chuck guard! :big:

Dave

Not much done this week, hd lots of other jobs on around and done some casting. Got a tool post made but I did not have a welder arc weldr to eld the tool rest to some stainless I had laying around. It is all built just need to bend and curve one and weld the rests on the posts.
PIC_0026.jpg

Going to order a scroll chuck this week and get a bowl turning attachment to go o it and hopefully next time Icome home from work bolt it down out the farm and turn something. We will build a tailstock next week, found a nice hand wheel at the tip.
Brock

After 3 shops in Perth we found a suitable scroll chuck for this beast. Having a 1in 8tpi lh thread on the spindle wasn't helping when it came to getting it to fit. So a adapter with small hole was bought and my mate deided I could turn an internal left hand thread no problems. Thanks Fleece. So when it was nice and quiet I watched a Tubal Cain video on the subject on youtube and jumped in with a piece if acetal. This is attempt number two after turning the wrong thread in the first bit.
LHT1.jpg

LHT2.jpg

The set up I used, some gears changed and away I went. Using an insert.
LHT3.jpg

LHT4.jpg

Well that worked but I noticed I had other problems. The chuck was going to be a fair way out from the head stock and there was no shoulder for it to locate against to help keep it square. :(
Quiet place have a think.
Brock

I decided to go to a 7/8 9tpi lh thread, this would give me a shoulder for location and I would have to cut the old 1inch thread off to cut the 7/8 thread on the spindle. Out came the spindle again. I did not know whether it was best to do the shaft first or the nut so I started with the nut. Que one chuck adapter spindle. The centre hole was bored to the correct size and threading began.
LHT5.jpg

LHT6.jpg

LHT7.jpg

Little bit tight at first
LHT8.jpg

A bit of sanding and thread deepening an on it went. A small recess was turned in the back of the adapter to locate it and it is done. Total runout 0.12, not bad I reckon for my first effort at thread cutting, don't know what I have been worrying about. One thing I did notice is the inserts are not really the best for a deep thread like this, I would sharpen some HSS to get more clearance from the tool next time.
Thanks for looking in.
Brock
PS yes I am going to paint it since it is apart

More Done
22.jpg

Chuck is on, lining up the tailstock
23.jpg

More suports were put on the colum, big beams still twist
25.jpg

Tailstock half done
26.jpg

Bolted down and tested
27.jpg

28.jpg

http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums...Turning Lathe/?action=view&current=MOV001.mp4
A short video an the amateur owner
This peice was put in it second it was going okay until a big chunk come out, it came from the wood pile.
29.jpg

It turned it with no problems. Well this job is done back to my things.
Thanks for following along I hope you enjoyed the journey of two blokes with an idea

Brock

Great post Brock :bow: :bow:
I really enjoyed it
Pete

Latest posts

Back