Bottle Engine update

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnalot

Project of the Month Winner !!!
Reaction score
Last spring I made some patterns and cast a few parts for a Bottle engine and posted information about it here

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f36/bottle-engine-21080/

Its now time to spend some rainy days (months) in the shop. I have completed the first phase of the Bottle engine project and thought I would show you all where I'm going with this design.

The engine is of my own design and I have made all the patterns and castings here in my own shop. The castings have been anodised silver and all the steel parts have been nickel plated except for the crankshaft, that part I "Parkerized". The crankshaft was cut one piece from A36 steel and the flyweights are attached with a screw.

The engine is a double acting steam type with a 1.75" bore and a 2" stroke. The flywheel is 6" in diameter to give a sense of scale.

This engine is a gift to my wife so she can show here friends what her "dead" husband could do. She paid no attention to what I have been doing in the shop until this motor came along. I knew if I wanted to get one of my motors displayed in the big house It would need to NOT look like a motor. Bingo, she loves it.

The next phase is to complete the cylinder heads and cylinder.

Mark T

Bottle Engine -1.jpg

Bottle Engine -2.jpg

Bottle Engine -3.jpg

Botttle Engine crankshaft.jpg

Outstanding work so far. I really like the finish on the upright. What was involved in getting it plated?
gbritnell

Outstanding work so far. I really like the finish on the upright. What was involved in getting it plated?

Anodizing aluminum is very easy and not very expensive. all you need is a little battery acid diluted 3 to 1 with distilled water and a dc power supply that you can regulate the amperage. an hour in the tank is usually about right. The process also makes the surface very abrasion resistant. To get the silver grey look I polished the aluminum and then etched the surface with a strong caustic solution for a few minuets to give the surface a frosty look.

Plating is a little more expensive and a little bit more complex a process, but still very doable in the home shop. I like to plate the steel parts to avoid rust. I will soon be experimenting with plating aluminum and will post the results when I do.

Mark T

It is a beautiful start. It will be a shame to see it in the sitting room with a lampshade on it however. ;)

Very nice work! I realy like the finishes, they complement each other very well.

Keep it up,
John.

Latest posts

Back