Birks Ball turner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
Not really, This one's mine:eek:) It was built off the plans Birk had in HSM a few years back. I modified the plans a bit, but the important dims are his. The frame was drawn up and cut out at work on the CNC plasma cutter. I have used this allot!!! It is a heavy duty unit!!!

Firstbarrel.jpg

This is a soda can mortar barrel that I made.

I'll see if I can find some more pictures

How far in on the "back" side of the sphere can you go ? It dosen't apear to be very far.
For the mortars I guess you don't need to go in toward the center.
...lew...

I haven't tried, But with tool clearance You could make over 3/4 of a ball or more I think. The middle C can turn 360 degrees. It is very adjustable. Plus you can use any type of tools in it you want. I have good luck with some small replaceable insert tools.

Hi

Recently, i have built a small toolpost grinder for my watchmakers lathe:

The spindle components:
403_0aa234913eb71cde8b77c45cb3465847.jpg

The shaft has been made from silver steel. The brass part which is on the shaft is screwed onto the shaft and is being centerd by a cone. To get that one exactly concentric to the shaft, i finished it on the shaft.
403_4d479efa720dcf540f4aa78c6d4ea276.jpg

These are the pulley nut, pulley, counter-nut and bearing-adjustment nut.
403_58f604dfc9e9c90cbb35d8ae72d05abe.jpg

To get the motor pulley true running, i tried something: I machined a flat angleded cone onto the pulley and made a conical washer to clamp the pulley on the motor shaft. Well, it should result in absolutely no runout and now i can say that it works perfectly. If the motor is running, you cant feel any vibration (which would worsen the grinded surface)
403_1984d979fa24b44e5712bcbd465abe2d.jpg

What's missing now is the carrier for motor and spindle but also the belt to drive the spindle.
403_4d456213b02478dec46bd5747f47e50b.jpg

The grinding disc is from proxxon and has 22 mm diameer.

Back