Bill Riechart`s "Gyro engine"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnbylcr2

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Has anyone built or attempted Bill Riechart`s Gyro Engine?

gyroengine_lrg.jpg

Plans are sold on his site which I got a while ago but I`ve never got around to building it and if I`m being honest, I`ve not been in this hobby terribly long and I don`t fully understand how it is working! Wanted to find more info before I begin a build and I can`t find anyone who has built it or any further info!

Mnbylcr2

Hi Mnbylcr2

I was unaware this even existed, but now I have seen it I wouldn't mind building one too!!

Regards
Andy

That's a great looking engine, another one to add to my 'must build list' But why didn't the photographer give it a quick clean up before taking the pic. If you've gone to the trouble of building it, mounting it nicely etc surely it's worth the couple minutes of effort to get rid of the blue/black gunk on the support before showing it off to the world !

Mind you I can't really talk I haven't even started my first engine yet :-[

Yes, it does look a nice engine hence why I got the plans. I`m sure if you had been at this hobby for some time you`d have no problem but for me, there are very few notes with the plans and consequently I can`t figure out how it is working and put together. I was hoping to find a build log on the forum but a google search only brings up one relevant hit - the page to buy the plans!! :(

It appears to me to be some sort of "wobbler" action.
On the aesthetics of it I think the spokes are bit ugly, they don't match the style of the rest of the parts
...Lew...

I would guess a rotary type valve, a hollow pivot with a port that intakes up through the column and exhausts up through that strange looking brass thing at the top of the column. Interesting engine!

Jeff

Bill Reichart sadly passed away a few years ago, and the website I think is maintained by someone for Phyllis, Bob's wife.

http://www.billreichart.com/engines.shtml

I don't think they understand the workings of Bob's models, but just put pictures up of his engines as they are now, so that his widow would make a little extra cash from Bob's hard work.

The plans are very good value for money, and are very well thought out and presented.
They include a lot of info that you don't find on plans costing a lot more, and all the engines have been proven to work, and work well.

Blogs

Thanks, Blogs. I guess I had better not wait too long before getting the plans for that Panther Pup.

Vernon said:
Thanks, Blogs. I guess I had better not wait too long before getting the plans for that Panther Pup.
Vernon
If you do decide to build the Panther Pup, beware that several people have commented unfavourably on the valve gear design. Perhaps gbritnall would like to elaborate?

Dave
The Emerald Isle

steamdave said:
Vernon
If you do decide to build the Panther Pup, beware that several people have commented unfavourably on the valve gear design. Perhaps gbritnall would like to elaborate?

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Yes, thank you, I did some searching on here after I posted that bit, and saw the comments about the T-shaped rockers! I guess I'll be changing those...and probably adding a thrust bearing and prop hub to the crankshaft. ;D

Just to go back to my original question - has anyone actually built this from the plans?

Following the discussion about the Gyro Engine I sent for the plans.
Phyllis Reichart wasted no time putting them in the post to the UK.
My only problem is that the dimensions are in Imperial units and my tooling is metric. Should make for an interesting build and I am looking forward to getting started.

John.

modeng2000 said:
My only problem is that the dimensions are in Imperial units and my tooling is metric. Should make for an interesting

Serves you right, us Cracker builders have been building a metric loco to imperial tooling. Now it is your turn ;D stickpoke

OOOOOoooooH!!!! A smack down!!!!! :big: :big:

Yeah, the conversions tend to be a PITA but cie la vie. I just make a second set of plans and mark them up with a REd pen to the required dimensions and go on about. Good luck with your build John, don't forget the pictures. th_wwp

BC1
Jim

BMyers said:
Serves you right, us Cracker builders have been building a metric loco to imperial tooling. Now it is your turn ;D stickpoke

I guess I asked for that *club*

John

I did one some time ago, just took a pix & will try to load it here.
be patient
ed

Was late last night when I posted, thought about it and looked at the plans this am. If you order the plans order the plans for his Rike vice. The little tool will make building easier + you will have a new tool that you will have to find storage space for.
good luck
ed

Back