Olsryd Merlin - Feasible?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiegoVV

Reaction score
Dear all,

Now that my Edwards radial 5 build is close to end, I have been playing with the idea of starting a Merlin as a next complex project and I am considering the options.

While fiddling around the Internet I´ve found what it seems to be a very comprehensive set of plans by K.E. Olsryd for a good size Merlin and as a bonus, they are in metric, so bearings and fasteners are easy to obtain here. Now the question is....Do you know if anyone has ever built a Merlin based on Olsryd plans?

I don´t want to jump into such a complex project just to find out that it doesn´t work.

Thank you very much!!!

Just because someone built one and it didn't run doesn't mean yours won't. What I would do is buy the plans and assess for yourself weather or not the design is sound enough to consider it further. If you have the skills and software model the engine complete and look for errors such as hole placements being correct. Check for obstructions like piston clearance, rods hitting the bottom of the cylinders, stuff like that. If all that seems in order then give it a shot..

Would you be able to give a link to the plans? I would like to buy a set if possible.

Thanks.

There is this year 2004 post to what might be the original 2D plans? Would be interesting if they are still available anywhere.
http://www.modelenginenews.org/ed.2004.08.html
Carl-Eric's 20% scale RR Merlin plans (also a Karl-Erik Olsryd design), comprising 63 CAD sheets, are 800 kr. including postage (just over US$100 at the current exchange rate). They (naturally) employ metric dimensioning and all annotations are in Swedish. From the samples provided, it would appear practical for an experience model engineer to build the design "from the solid" with some interpolation of dimensions and contours. Drive for the twin overhead cams is by spur and idler gears, unlike the full-size engine that used bevel gears and torque tubes, or the other commercially available model that uses a toothed drive belt.

Overall, the sample Merlin plans are very professional indeed and from the photos of the J-5 investment castings, they appear to be of a very high standard. Although a grand of real dollars for the J-5 "kit" appears a steep price, consider that you get plans (40 CAD sheets and 34 machining instruction sheets), 17 castings, 12 ball and roller bearings, 10 gears (including the two internal ring gears modified to the drawings), 18 valve springs, oil seals and tubing for inlet and exhausts. Capacitor Discharge Ignition systems (CDI) for 9 and 18 cylinder radial engines are also available from the same source. To email Carl-Eric, click on the link above.

The Grabcad link/comment
https://grabcad.com/library/merlin-v12-olsryd-1The original Olsryd Merlin V12 project rebuilt in 3D. In memory of K.E. Olsryd whom all the credits must be given for his 2D sketches. Updated 20th February 2017. Corrected some mistakes in motion constraints, Bearings and Bolts added. Cable Harness and Piping ready soon and object of next update.

There is this year 2004 post to what might be the original 2D plans? Would be interesting if they are still available anywhere.
http://www.modelenginenews.org/ed.2004.08.html
I followed the original build of this engine for a long time I YHINK there were several in the making . As I recall the castings were nice but very thin due to model scaling 1/4 scale of any aircraft engine is pretty small parts as I recal the oil pan was especially hard to machine flat on the gasket surface I only saw pictures of various parts and pages of drawing at one point Beas goingvto get the plans but I managed to see the Conley Chevy scale model with the scale supercharger and spok with the man himself. It was a really nice Ned innovative model even today it is although it’s a different model as his shop burned down and he lost everything . The Merlin I think actually ran but I have not seen or heard anything of it . Just the miniature size should be hard to duplicate in a “scale” size . I YHINK it would need to be “ that looked about scale” would be the guide line. The hogson radials are good example of scale but functional . If you have the plan set or have seen the builds you can see this the hogson radials are wonderful engines in their own right and he is a joy to chat with. I wish I could physically jump in and start building one . I dig the plans out occasionally just to look at them . I actually talked to a 3D printing place about doing it but they really wanted full cad models to print it . Ironically the guy I talked to said if there was a complete sssembly model he could print it and I could disassemble it for my own kit. Hecsaidvhecwoukdctestbprint a few models to prove fits but essentially it would be a plastic model that could turn over and eventually be driven by small electric motor . The plastic model company reveille was going to make a scale model but the demand just wasn’t there . They did make a “ visible 9 cylinder radial for a while . I looked into trying to purchase one but they are collector items now and very rare Gus incredibly expensive .

Carl-Eric's 20% scale RR Merlin plans (also a Karl-Erik Olsryd design), comprising 63 CAD sheets, are 800 kr. including postage (just over US$100 at the current exchange rate). They (naturally) employ metric dimensioning and all annotations are in Swedish. From the samples provided, it would appear practical for an experience model engineer to build the design "from the solid" with some interpolation of dimensions and contours. Drive for the twin overhead cams is by spur and idler gears, unlike the full-size engine that used bevel gears and torque tubes, or the other commercially available model that uses a toothed drive belt.

Overall, the sample Merlin plans are very professional indeed and from the photos of the J-5 investment castings, they appear to be of a very high standard. Although a grand of real dollars for the J-5 "kit" appears a steep price, consider that you get plans (40 CAD sheets and 34 machining instruction sheets), 17 castings, 12 ball and roller bearings, 10 gears (including the two internal ring gears modified to the drawings), 18 valve springs, oil seals and tubing for inlet and exhausts. Capacitor Discharge Ignition systems (CDI) for 9 and 18 cylinder radial engines are also available from the same source. To email Carl-Eric, click on the link above.

The Grabcad link/comment
https://grabcad.com/library/merlin-v12-olsryd-1The original Olsryd Merlin V12 project rebuilt in 3D. In memory of K.E. Olsryd whom all the credits must be given for his 2D sketches. Updated 20th February 2017. Corrected some mistakes in motion constraints, Bearings and Bolts added. Cable Harness and Piping ready soon and object of next update.

Here's one with correctly proportioned propellor reduction gears in front, correctly modeled intake manifold (that you can't see in this photo), and correctly proportioned supercharger in back. Its also got bevel gear driven cam shafts, and four valves and two spark plugs per cylinder. The magnetos are scale but are empty, didn't feel like trouble shooting them at this scale, maybe later. If you're going to make a model Merlin I highly recommend taking the time and effort to make it actually look like the original, and not just any old 60-deg V-12, it will be worth it in the long run.

Attachments

• IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Unbelievable . Great work I YHINK the original model was pretty close to scale everything even fasteners. As I recall there was a massive issue keeping the oil pan flat and the castings were very delicate . The extras shown must have taken forever to design and build . I wish I could see it in person .

Plans of engines created by Karl Erik Olsryd can still be found on the internet. But sending an e-mail to Karl Erik is not possible as he passed away on 21 March 2004 in Gothenburg, Sweden. He lived to be 89 years old.

The first time I saw his 9-cylinder radial engine was in the Swedish hobby magazine "Modelflygnytt" and read about his project and the drawings that accompanied the magazine in 1994-95. He was very good at writing an easy to understand job description for each part that was produced to complete a complete engine and during his lifetime people interested in making engines could order cast parts from him if people did not have access to casting parts themselves.

Here's one with correctly proportioned propellor reduction gears in front, correctly modeled intake manifold (that you can't see in this photo), and correctly proportioned supercharger in back. Its also got bevel gear driven cam shafts, and four valves and two spark plugs per cylinder. The magnetos are scale but are empty, didn't feel like trouble shooting them at this scale, maybe later. If you're going to make a model Merlin I highly recommend taking the time and effort to make it actually look like the original, and not just any old 60-deg V-12, it will be worth it in the long run.
I fully agree, If I put the effort it takes, I would make it as closer as the real Merlin as my capabilities allow me. Where did you get this picture? Is it a modified Olsryd? Is there any available plans?

I fully agree, If I put the effort it takes, I would make it as closer as the real Merlin as my capabilities allow me. Where did you get this picture? Is it a modified Olsryd? Is there any available plans?
i am an avid Rc Warbird scale modeler . Tc scale involves operating features oyhevvisual scale appearance features scale appearing pilot then scale flight maneuvers. Each have their own degrees of difficulty . I managed to win 5 events so had my “ace kill markers”. Picking a scale size you want or that is practical is first step beyond subject . 1/5 or 2/4 is popular .

Some features just don’t scale well for example the popular 1/2” hex bolt become only .10 of an inch Pretty small bolt now . A lot of them become a very big project . Machining wise some things just don’t scale well and are best left left covered by something that doesn’t show up . Hatch cover. Then the issue is the hatch cover gaps . A 1/6” gap becomes something like a cat whisker wide at best. So a Merlin . I don’t know the bolt size or count in the oil pan but it is daunting . Just think of tapping all those tiny holes . Then there are valve cover bolts and screws . How about the exhaust stacks . Notvtoonhardvifvthryvwerent oval and straight but oval with a bend is very difficult I built a number of P 51 scale functioning exhausts with just the curved section . They “ looked scale butvthebpuristvquicklyvtajesvyoubtobtask . 3D metal printing might get close but the pipe wall thickness would get you in the end . I made a die at one point to shape sheet metal then tig welded the parts together one time was enough . I did precision TIG welding for a living for a while those that can do it today are few and far between and could be very expensive if they would tackle a project like this.

I can’t take any thing away from the modelers that have done thisMerlin I have to heap nice work on them Atvtge same time be sure you look deep into the project before you start I’d suggest many notebook pages of ideas and solutions before taking on a project like this . I’d also build a cad model the entire project before making chips the man that originally started the Merlin did this quite well there were many publication in magazines of the day

The short answer is I started a new thread "Lawrence Merlin V12" since it isn't Olsryd based, rather I started with some cutaway engineering drawings in "The Merlin In Perspective" by Rolls-Royce Heritage Society, xerox-enlarged them to 1" bore and took all measurements from that.

I see this spell did me I again sorry I edited carefully but even a single wrong letter can mess a whole line up then it undoes what you have edited . Swing double and poking letters with a stylus is hard enough with out “ help”
i am an avid Rc Warbird scale modeler . Tc scale involves operating features oyhevvisual scale appearance features scale appearing pilot then scale flight maneuvers. Each have their own degrees of difficulty . I managed to win 5 events so had my “ace kill markers”. Picking a scale size you want or that is practical is first step beyond subject . 1/5 or 2/4 is popular .

Some features just don’t scale well for example the popular 1/2” hex bolt become only .10 of an inch Pretty small bolt now . A lot of them become a very big project . Machining wise some things just don’t scale well and are best left left covered by something that doesn’t show up . Hatch cover. Then the issue is the hatch cover gaps . A 1/6” gap becomes something like a cat whisker wide at best. So a Merlin . I don’t know the bolt size or count in the oil pan but it is daunting . Just think of tapping all those tiny holes . Then there are valve cover bolts and screws . How about the exhaust stacks . Notvtoonhardvifvthryvwerent oval and straight but oval with a bend is very difficult I built a number of P 51 scale functioning exhausts with just the curved section . They “ looked scale butvthebpuristvquicklyvtajesvyoubtobtask . 3D metal printing might get close but the pipe wall thickness would get you in the end . I made a die at one point to shape sheet metal then tig welded the parts together one time was enough . I did precision TIG welding for a living for a while those that can do it today are few and far between and could be very expensive if they would tackle a project like this.

I can’t take any thing away from the modelers that have done thisMerlin I have to heap nice work on them Atvtge same time be sure you look deep into the project before you start I’d suggest many notebook pages of ideas and solutions before taking on a project like this . I’d also build a cad model the entire project before making chips the man that originally started the Merlin did this quite well there were many publication in magazines of the day

Back