Best lathe question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been through quite a few lathes. Started way back in the 70's with a small Craftsman/Atlas. Later I picked up a 13 x 48 Sheldon that was made in the 40's. It was a little shop worn, but I learned to work around the wear. A few years ago I lucked into a free Enco 14 x 40 which is a brute of a lathe. This year I finally replaced the Sheldon with a heavier Colchester Triumph. The things I look for in a lathe are rigidity, collet closer and quick change gearbox. I also have purchased a 7x12 and a 9x20 for my son.
Something special about old Americal or English iron...if you can find a good one.

I dunno what a good one is the 9 in south bends pop up all the time I think there is 3 in a 3 hour radius right now

I have the grizzly version of this lathe, in my opinion, a good quality lathe. I would check for any play in the spindle bearings. Also check the ways for significant wear by looking for rounded edges. Look for any cracks on the compound, tool post area. This is where most damage occurs. You might want to open the gear box Nd look for any broken gears or signs of wear. This lathe normally leaks a little bit so don't worry about that, but with that, make sure they didn't run it dry...1200 seems to be a fair price.

I talked the guy down to 950 but its got some rust I gotta go find out how bad

Just something to consider. In the past year I procured both a C2 7x12 mini lathe and a X2 mini mill. Had I gotten a bigger lathe I would not have been able to afford the mill. For me personally, I need both to do what I want, and for the year I only had the lathe I was constantly annoyed by projects I couldn't do because I only had a lathe. So I wouldn't get a larger lathe if it meant precluding a mill as well.

Also, while a large lathe is nice, and might be needed depending on the work's size, you can still do very good work on a 7x12. It just takes more effort and thought. I have a friend who is the machinist for the University of Vermont and he said anyone can do good work on a good machine, but a good machinist can do good work even on a bad machine. That stuck with me and I believe it to be entirely true. Both the C2 and X2 have their limitations, but you can work within them, produce good work, and have a lot of fun.

i ended up buying the used 12x36 for 900 been doing alot of cleaning on it gotta change the head stock and apron oil and get to learning how to run it and make things

Latest posts

Back