Belated Hi from Ireland

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwilkes

Random Dude
Reaction score
I live in Wicklow, Ireland. I'm a software developer by day. Always wanted to make model engines. My first engine (ignoring several childhood mamods, which I always knew were 'toys' and therefore didn't count) was a Stuart S50 from a machined kit, and since then I've wanted to make an engine from castings.

About a year ago I needed to make a part for a vienna clock and the "only" way to fix it was to get hold of a lathe, so I bought a Taig ('peatol' in the uk for some odd reason), and I adore it. If I'd thought about it a bit more I'd've bought a mill first and a lathe second, since I seem to do more milling than turning...

I've made a stuart oscillator, almost finished a stuart 10V (just painting, plumbing and fettling to do) and Santa's sending me a twin compound engine. If I manage to finish the twin compound the next project will be an IC engine of some sort (if I can find something elegant that's doable on a taig).

I'm a keen arduino hacker too - currently working on a home-grown DRO for the taig using magnetic strip sensor.

So far I've found this forum incredibly useful and helpful. Keep up the good work, chaps.

Back