Hi all,

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm Rudy, from Norway.
Think I will like being among you at this forum.
I have been very fasinated by model engines since I could walk. Have always been making and mending things. As a kid I always had an eye for pieces of junk that fitted together that could make a piston and cylinder.
So now, 57something years after my first step, I have ordered a lathe and a millilng machine. Can't remember this feeling since I was a kid the days before Christmas. Santa is on he's way..
I have already bought a casting kit for s Stuart 10V. I have been at the YouTube High School and learned a lot. My plan for this build will be about accuracy. I will go nuts about making it more accurate than just "well made". I'm inspired by my first experience when I installed a motor driven satellite dish without having to adjust it when the signal was turned on. I was so keen on making it right that I actually got it right. The same with this build. I want to make it right, not destroying these delicate parts.
In my work with electronic development I am used to handle the terms of accuracy and inaccuracy. How they apear and how to controll them. Much of this way of thinking can easily be applied to mechanics. So this will be my contribution. High stakes, but thats me.
I'll make a thread about it.

Hallo Rudy.
Velcome onboard.
Hvor i Norge holder du til.
Regards
CS

Finaly the machines arrived after several delays. I have my shop in the second floor of my two car garage. Very kozy. Getting the 170kg lathe up the stairs was not a deasent operation to say at least... The mill weight the same, but could be parted in thre and easy to get up there.
Got the machines directly from the factory in China. No name. You will find these with any brand name.
The mill required some cleaning, adjusting and oiling to work smooth. Otherways it looks very tight and stable.
The mill was fine right out of the box. I have done some work on it and it is a plessure to work with.
(The lathe is the one in the bacground. The red machine is a very lousy mill, but a very good dril press).

2017-06-01 22.22.34.jpg

Last edited:
Hese's a close up on the lathe. As it say on the front, it takes 250x500mm work. It came with a steady rest, follow rest, 4-jaw chuck, face plate and work light. I checked a bit on the round out of the chuck. Not the best. The spindle however, I could not measure any out of round at all, so the basis is very good.
I don't know how important the table is. It's not very ruged. Since this is a relatively heavy machine (for a small lathe) I kind of hoped it would be ok anyway.

2017-06-01 22.28.32.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Rudy, your lathe looks pretty much the same as mine. Here in Australia it is marketed as Hafco Al 250. I have had mine for about two years and never had any trouble. It is quite accurate for my needs. I brought it because it has a No3 MT in the tailstock which is a bit unusual in a small machine. My mill is an Optimum BF20L and the quill is also No 3 MT and this allows for a bit of inter-changeability of the tooling. I wish my shed was as neat and clean as yours. Looking forward to exchanging ideas. Cheere, Peter

20160929_103955.jpg

20160929_103945.jpg

Hi Peter, Your lathe is defenitely the same. Good to hear some good comments on it. Mine is also MT3. MT4 in the spindle.
I opted for R8 on the mill. Maybe not so smart, but the R8 is easier to remove i think.
My shop is too clean, I have just started to gather Model engineering stuff, so I will need every suare millimeter as I collect more. Just got a message from the post. A new bandsaw is on the way. The type you can tilt from horisontal to vertical and install a small table.

I'm on my holydays right now and I will put up a walkthrough of all the stuff I ordered from China whan I'm home. Something are good, some not so.

2017-07-27 20.50.03.jpg

crank shaft.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back