BAZMAK-Diary of a Myford ML7 lathe restoration

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very ingenious, and nicely executed. Will probably confuse the hell out of some future owner though!

A couple of suggestions.... consider epoxy coating the wood surfaces to ensure that any sprayed oil doesn't penetrate the wood and ruin the grey paint adhesion. My second suggestion is to make one more and attach a guitar neck and strings.

Very nice work but mostly I envy that you have time for projects.

While waiting for Myford no 3 to arrive and with no 2 up and running i
decided to some machining.I turned down a surplus catchplate to accept
the 80mm range of chinese gear.I had originally made an er32 collet chuck
for the original mini lathe which was surplus so i fitted it to the Myford
i will buy a full set of 19 no collets for $60 and will advertise it with the lathe
should make a good selling feature. Myford no 2 works well but a little noisy
a lot of which is the shed walls vibrating thru contact with the bench collet chuck 01.jpg

collet chuck 02.jpg

collet chuck 03.jpg

New end guard finished and fitted,cant tell the difference until you take it off
Very pleased its better than a bodged job and as near as i will get to an originalguard 01.jpg

guard 02.jpg

guard 03.jpg

The Myford one is the one that looks a bit rough!

Myford no 3 has arrived.No 16553 made 1950.This one cost about half the price i paid for no 2 and comes with 2 chucks,a vertical slide and changegears etc
First impressions not badly worn.Missing end guard has been made along
with another pair of Bazmak special riser/leveling feet.Quick downside is that the motor is directly wired to a 3 pin plug and not thru a F/R switch.Not being up on electrical this may warrant a separate help thread later.Motor runs super quiet.Two hours later the inititial major stripdown is complete.Well greased and gunkie but one thing i noticed was the counter shaft looks new/unworn where i had to make new ones on Myford nos 1 & 2. Hopefully good signs of things to comeunpack 01.jpg

unpack 02.jpg

strip 01.jpg

strip 02.jpg

Looks like another good 'un. Oddball handle on the topslide. Somebody's homeshop mod?

Yes homemade handle on the compound and with a different but better micrometer dial on the cross slide.Home made saddle lock handle to the carriage but i now replace them as std with chinese comm levers.Few missing screws but nothing stands out as too difficult to fix at this stage

Downside did nobody notice the hole cut in the changegear cover
Nor did i till today.Cant understand the reason for this butchery
Up side is i have just stripped down an almost new 6" ind. 4 jaw chuck
Pratt burnard,lightweight with cast slimline body. Well worth the mhole in the end guard. Stripped down and cleaned up the bed and main covers
This appears to be the best bed so far with min wear.No wear on the leadscrew and bushesbed 01.jpg

chuck 6' - 01.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

end cover 01.jpg

Apart from the suggested possible removal of the leadscrew--------which I seriously doubt, the 'hole' is for a slow speed attachment.

Actually I have one and it is a long time since it saw the light of day.

The other possible variation on a Theme of Paganani is the Martin Cleeve gear box which simplifies all this gear changing 'lark'

If you look at the download which I sent to you, the Cleeve articles on the box should be there.

On a personal note, I'm running around with a 3 times weekly series of b-12 injections and the frightening thoughts of losing my driving licence and then comes Tuesday, someone is sticking a needle in my better eye. In the middle of it all, I'm off to Leeds to do some child minding so that my kids can have 'a bit of much needed quality time together' as son in law is a senior heart consultant and working 25 hours a day and 8 days a week whilst daughter is a consultant dental orthodontist on Ilkley Moor bah't t'at.

Cheers

from the stumbling pin cushion

I'm not familiar with English lathes. But can that hole have been cut to allow stock to be fed through the spindle to the chuck when into the production of multiple parts?
My Wabeco CC-D6000 came from the factory with a similar hole but that machine was made for CNC mass production and it also has a lever operated collet chuck.
When making multiple parts the stock is fed through from the left side into the collet up to tool position Nr 1 which is normally a stop for the feed. Then tool position 2 is the first operation in the manufacture of the part.
Russell
Ferlach
Austria

Off Topic and onto Eye problems.
Are you attending the Nuffield Center in north England about your Eye problem?
They are the world leader in the treament of Macular Degeneration.
I only know about this after having taken at different times, two fellow Austrians who went there for "Successful" treatment of Mach Degen.
I understand that patients go there from all over the world as the Nuffield Center is reputed to be the Nr 1. Even patients from Europe, the USA and I met one from Australia.
Russell
Ferlach
Austria

On a personal note, I'm running around with a 3 times weekly series of b-12 injections and the frightening thoughts of losing my driving licence and then comes Tuesday, someone is sticking a needle in my better eye. In the middle of it all, I'm off to Leeds to do some child minding so that my kids can have 'a bit of much needed quality time together' as son in law is a senior heart consultant and working 25 hours a day and 8 days a week whilst daughter is a consultant dental orthodontist on Ilkley Moor bah't t'a.

Cheers

from the stumbling pin cushion[/QUOTE]

Think you may be nearer the mark Norm.The hole is in line with the leadscrew
and there is a homemade handle to slow feed the leadscrew but at the tailstockend,such a waste of a goodlooking cover and part way thru the raised the Myford name.Never mind i am very pleased with the 4 jaw which i may keep.Also have another vertical slide to look at

Thanks Russell but when I went to the Nuffield for my cataracts, the operations were done in the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle.

Logically, I'm attending the RVI in Newcastle!

My thanks

Norman

Think you may be nearer the mark Norm.The hole is in line with the leadscrew
and there is a homemade handle to slow feed the leadscrew but at the tailstockend,such a waste of a goodlooking cover and part way thru the raised the Myford name.Never mind i am very pleased with the 4 jaw which i may keep.Also have another vertical slide to look at

Of course, it is possible to fill the hole with a good resin bodge that contains powdered metal. My own S7B has a non stressed repair in the gear box casing.

Some of these resins are quite good

N

Possibly some kind of fine feed mechanism attached to the end of the leadscrew through that hole in the cover? Looks like a previous owner was into a few upgrades so may have done something there, with the traditional windscreen wiper motor, or a reduction drive from the countershaft pulley area?

I may machine out the cutout in the mill and make a screw in blank.I an also considering sanding flush the remainder of the Myford name
A shame really but it looks an eyesore as is.Finished the headstock and all guarding etc and the countershaft assy.No worn items but
quite a few missing collars ,screws and pins etc .also had to make a new woodruff key so i made 4. Nothing too difficult Now on to the carriage and tailstock and no 3 is finished.Just about used up all the Grey paint so will do the next one in green

We have some 6 jaw Pratt Bernards at work and they are great Chuck's. One thing I noticed (at least on the newer models) is they grind a .006" back taper into their jaws which makes holding parts straight a pain. I ended up using a borazon tipped insert and I bored the jaws straight and it now works like a charm. Our older Pratt didn't have this back taper, and the fit between the jaws and Chuck body was held to much closer tolerances, so I'm guessing they added to accommodate more slop in their foreign made Chuck's.

I would consider checking this on your Chuck so you don't have the struggles I did. Anyways nice pickup!

Thanks Nautilus.I havent got to the stage of checking chucks for runout.Just a stripdown clean and check
Best ones i keep and let the rest go with the lathe.Just had a good day finishing the guards and fitting
Had to make a few items,support studs etc and i had to make 2 large top hat bushes in nylon for the front guard
The later models had the h frame machined down to accept them but this one was missing them and lots of rattle
Now working on the carriage and then the tailstock

Latest posts

Back