Baby Steps

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking first project there. You certainly took pride in it well executed. Bet you have a big smile on your face.
An optical center punch should be a piece of cake for you and give some lathe practice. Or you could use the mill as well.
and I agree probably did not need the mirror with that finish . Modern telescope optics are polished glass with aluminum coating. and there is a very clear refection on the side view.
Although a piece if first surface mirror would not be bad either they can be found in discarded scanners and copiers. I think I need to did mine out.
Tin

Thank you very much, fella's! :)

Was there a calibration procedure to verify things are square?

Yes, in the video there is. Lex uses a pointed wiggler to make a dot on the crosshairs of a workpiece. Then he removes the wiggler and installs the optical version and it is dead on. That is how you verify it.

The odds of the buffing wheel grabbing your part and throwing it against the wall/floor are directly proportional to the time and care you spent making the part.

For buffing you can also use a hard felt wheel on your drill press at a much lower speed (if you have one).

Looks good, Kmot.

-T

Looking very good - nice bit of work!

Thanks again guys! Wow, all ya'll sure know how to make a guy feel good! Thm:

Well, the proof is in the puddin', as the saying goes. I used a wiggler and made a dimple on some crossed lines, then replaced the wiggler with the optical version and it was dead on. woohoo1

I took some pics and it was extremely hard to get my camera lined up just right so the pic looks a little off but, the tool is not.

Now on to something else.... scratch.gif

res047.jpg

res055.jpg

res050.jpg

Optical Wiggler Proof.jpg

Dang you Kmot, that's just tooo nice not to end up on my tooling "roundtoit" list...

good job of work you've done there.

Cheers, Joe

Back