BA threads

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

I have some stock of round stainless steel, 3/32 1/8 5/32 etc. I also have a set of BA taps and dies. Where can I get info on which die/thread is best to use on each size of bar. Does it need to be turned down at all or can you just thread straight on?

Cheers

FB,
Marv was only discussing this yesterday, and has posted the basic stats for BA sizing here

http://freeforums4u.com/viewtopic.php?t=671&mforum=homemodelengine

Otherwise all the info should be in the Zeus book.
If you haven't got a Zeus book Arc Euro or Axminster are about the cheapest, just add it to the back end of an order as it works out expensive with the postage, also most good local engineering suppliers should have them in stock. A quick phone call should verify.

John

Hi
Il secind the Zeaus book. every one should have one regardles of location its simply the best book to have in the workshop.

To give you a guide and an idea 5 BA should be .127 but in reality .1255 gives a better form. It aint easy getting it right but the Zeus will help greatly.

cheers Kevin

Hi

As an experiment I ran a 7BA die down a bit of 3/32 stainless rod (set up in the lathe with a tail stock die holder) and that seems to be about right. When I get time I'll try some of the other sizes.

Cheers

Julian,

Some time ago Andy Pugh, who I believe is the author of that list, sent it to me for inclusion on my page.

For thread identification purposes, I found it rather tedious to search for possible matches to something I had in hand.

So, I wrote a program, FINDTHRD, which allows one to automate the process of searching by either diameter or pitch to find candidates.

Back