Automatic oiler.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juandedios

Reaction score
Hello,
The first tests with the steam car was not all good .
Before starting the engine well oiled all the parts , including oil spilled by the steam and lubricating valves and cylinder.
Initially operating it was fine but soon removed the steam valves and cylinder oil and adding expansion by temperature three times I was completely locked, you could not move until after a while it cooled .
Given the need for lubrication system information sought and found a simple mechanism that was used in early steam engines. It was in an old book and came described as " automatic oiler condensation " .
I proceeded to build one and testing the result was great. I had the engine running for 30 minutes no problem , improved in many aspects .
Its operation is simple , the steam passes through a small part oiler condensed water drops which weigh less oil will collect in the bottom pushing up the oil level is driven by the steam valves and cylinder.

azz3.jpg

This video can be seen the difference in color of the sleeve and connecting the valve nipple , due to the entrained oil :

[ame]http://youtu.be/DB0ZHJAGuFw[/ame]

I have used various oils, residues that had cars in my family and mine, although I have not yet determined which he is better.
Consumption is a bit high but the oil is collected in the box being perfectly separate condensation water can be reused.

51th.jpg

The box also prevents condensation making splashes cleaner engine .

For more information on this vehicle visit this post:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f43/autovapor-mad-max-22602/

Greetings to all.

Most of the model engineering suppliers sell "steam oil" which is specifically designed for use in displacement lubricators like yours and also mechanical lubricators. For your size of engine then the "lightweight" oil would be best

Latest posts

Back