ANOTHER NEWBIE!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hiya guys & gals, another newbie here,.. my name is Fred, I am nearly 60, my missus has decided I need a hobby,. and has bought me a 7 x 14 for Xmas,.... ::) ::)
I havent seen a lathe since I left school 40 years ago,.. but the idea of playing with a lathe, and making some of the cool stuff on here is appealing..........

I have downloaded the E-Z engine plans,... and, after playingwith/setting up the lathe over Xmas, I think I am up for giving this a go!!!
I am also a Radio Ham, (G4ZWI), and like to do a little fishing, and hunting,... I plan to use the lathe to knock up a few parts for my airguns...

I live in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England, and look forward to getting to speak to some of you in the near future....

Cheers all, Merry Christmas, Fred

Welcome to HMEM Fred.

Fishing, Hunting, Airguns..... ???

If you ever get a chance to come to the states look me up!
The best trout stream in the area is a 5 minute walk from back porch
and whitetail deer hunting is a specialty to this area. Practicing marksmanship
with my home modified air guns will just hone the skills. ;)

Rick

Welcome again Fred.
I saw you in the other post.
You can't get away...you'll have to post pics at some point. ;D

Welcome Freddie,
I'm a fly fisherman and an airgun fancier. I'm going to have to track Rick down too. Trout....did he say.... Trout out the back door. Freddie you have to go in Feb. to see Punxsutawney Phil the ground hog predict the weather.

Tony

Welcome, good to have you here. Enjoy the community, and dont be afraid to ask questions. This place is full of those willing and ready to help.

Hi Fred

Welcome to the group i also fish and play with amateur radio its great to have someone on here within VHF/UHF radio range perhaps one day we can have a natter
on 2 or 70 enjoy yourself great crowd on here .

73 DE G6FOW Paul

OK Guys, thanks for the warm welcome,... sure hope I fit in here OK,... fine on the ham radio, Paul,, well my missus comes from Gainsborough,.we pop over now and again, so sure we will hook up sometime!!!!

Just chillin', & fiddling at the mo,... learning how to drive the lathe,.... I purchased a toolset from the lathe supplier, not too happy with the finish on turnings at the mo,.. but that is probably down to wrong speed, wrong tool, and incompetence!!!
I have got a indexable turning/finishing tool on order, (Glanze? SCLCR 10 10 HO6,COMES WITH 1TIP ,CODE CCMT 0602O4) & then if my surface finish is rough, I know it is down to me!!! The lathe seems nice and slop-free, in fact a touch tight, being new,... but turns brass a treat, so sure it is just a matter of fine tuning, and technique....
I am planning to give the E-Z engine project a go, as soon as I have a clue as to what I am doing!!!

Cheers guys, have a good weekend,.... Fred

......(P.S..posted a piccy in my sig for you Carl, well, its a start!! :big: :big: )

Welcome to the forum, Fred. Hey, a missus that thinks you need a hobby and buys you a lathe. Can it get an better?

I'm a fancier of airguns as well. Here's a link to a CO2 powered airgun that I built from scratch a couple of years ago.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-EXv5lLbE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-EXv5lLbE[/ame]

Chuck

Fred,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back