Another Flame Eatter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should turn over with very little friction, but you should feel the vacuum as you turn is over.

Also, it takes a bit of warming up before it will run. Let the flame sit there for half a minute before you try to turn it over.

Cheers vic,
I am using a 6mm wick I can increase to 8 or 10mm.

Hi Gazzaleach
I took some pictures of mine flame eater so you can see the size of the flame.
I changed the design of the bearing support. Instead of drilling holes, I used the mill so I now can move the flywheel and adjust the position of the piston. It was a smart ide because it make big differense on the engine.

My first atempt to start the engine was a success, but it took ca 2 minutes to warm it up so it could begin to run. When I changed the flywheels position it started immediatly (when the engine was cold).

flywheel_zps7714e3a3.jpg

flame_zps99723a35.jpg

Cheers guys,

Peterb now that you have moved your flywheel where is bdc on your engine ie from end of piston skirt to the end of the cylinder, I have a massive flame just lie that as said it does try and run, if you move the flame away the sound changes and the rpm drop very quickly.

Cheers Gaz

Here is a pic that shows the positon of the piston and valve when the piston is in the cylinders bottom.
The friction must be very low. My engine will turn up to 13 times when i flip the flywheel without any fire. And when I adjust the flywheel/piston, I can get the engine to reverse when it is running. So the posibility to adjust the piston is very good.
piston-position_zps77455cba.jpg

Gazzaleach - I can see on your picture that your burner is locked in possition. That´s not good. You must have the possibility to move the flame. It seems like the flame/air mixture must be very exact. The temperature is not the same on the flame so the distance of the flame to the inlett must be variable.

When i run my engine I must move the burner several times to compensate the difference in temperatur in the flame so I got the right mixture.

When I've cleand the piston, valve and inside of the cylinder the engine behave different and I must adjust the valve again to get a nice run.

I think this information is good for you so you know that this engine is tricky ;)

And here is a pic and a video so you can see when the flame sucks in to the cylinder.

veke_zps969b8a1f.jpg

Thank you peterb for going to all the trouble, I dont think friction is a problem on my engine as its free and i do have vacuum it has to be the flame and position, i fixed my in place following images of others but its no hassle to make a new fuel cell so that it can be adjustable.

I will post an update shortly.

cheers Gaz

Latest posts

Back