Aluminum pieces

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinFresno

Reaction score
Where do you guys get your practice or bulk chunks of metal to use for cutting generic parts? Anything on line? I know I can go to the local metal supply or salvage yard, but I have an 8-5 work schedule and they close at 5 and closed on the weekends, makes it tough. I have now purchased my first mill and need to do set-ups and cutting so I can learn and practice what I have read about.

Ooops, maybe better to be in the METALS section

Mike,

It is a little different here in the UK, there is an abundant supply of materials that can be had for very little money or for free, but you do have to work for it.

We have a large number of model engineers per square mile here and you soon become adept at accepting overspill as long as you reciprocate the offer. It was only recently that I was given about 30 sash weights (UK made sash weights are good for cast iron, I don't think the US made ones are any good, so I have been told).

In your case, I would go around friends, neighbours and relatives and explain what you are doing and then ask to have a root around in their garages and sheds to see if they have stuff squirreled away, say left over from grandads days, they are usually glad to get rid of it. The other thing is to ask people not to throw anything that might be useful away, let you see it before being discarded. You can get lots of good materials out of old photocopiers and printers etc. But don't expect them to take back what you don't want, it will be up to you to dispose of the leftovers. I had a neighbour throwing away an old baby cot, I got loads of 1/4" steel rod out of it. It can be surprising what can be found in discarded rubbish, even old big bolts can give you a nice piece of tensile steel.

Good luck on your search

John

Hi Mike,

Online sources may work for you. There is a lot of aluminum for sale on Ebay. I've run into some assortments that have come in handy. Midwest Steel and Aluminum in MN maintains a drop list. On-Line Metals has some assortments on their website. Speedy Metals comes to mind. I've bought some aluminum pieces called Fortal on Ebay. They sell some assortments and individual pieces. Fortal is like 7075 aluminum and maybe a bit expensive, but nice to machine. I've learned to stay away from unidentified "mystery" metal as the savings is not worth the grief, though sometimes you luck out.

I don't know where you are located or what size metal pieces you are looking for, but maybe some of the above will be of help.

Good luck and enjoy the new mill.

Chuck

Chuck

I found some scrap pieces on Ebay and they have been shipped....Yay!!!

thx guys

Where do you guys get your practice or bulk chunks of metal to use for cutting generic parts?
Good question:

The local steel supplier offers separate business focused on selling drops, and some prime steel. As you note they close shop way to early, in my case though I get a day or two off during the week so not a big factor. Depending upon the phase of the moon and how much you buy they have had steel available for as low as 65 cents a pound. This is mostly structural.

Your local thrift stores! Seriously all sorts of stuff gets dropped at these places. Look for cast iron weights, appliances, furniture and the like.

FreeCycle. Haven't personally tried this one but they do have good stuff fro time to time.

Flea markets if you can find one locally.

Auctions! Unfortunately the best ones to go to are the ones that are held week days so you have the same issue as shopping at a store. Frankly you either get unbelievable deals or end up paying too much. There doesn't seem to be an in between.

Cabin Fever (or model endangering shows in general). Yes stuff is often expensive but you can get deals. In a couple of cases i got stuff for literally pennies on the dollar.
Anything on line?
What isn't online?
I know I can go to the local metal supply or salvage yard, but I have an 8-5 work schedule and they close at 5 and closed on the weekends, makes it tough.
At the moment I'm pretty lucky in this regard. All I can say is talk to the boss maybe an extended lunch break can be worked out.
I have now purchased my first mill and need to do set-ups and cutting so I can learn and practice what I have read about.

Ooops, maybe better to be in the METALS section

Latest posts

Back