Airplane engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdhem2

Reaction score
What catagory does a simple model airplane engine fall into? Like a Cox .049?

Anyone make model airplane engines, well that look like airplane engines? :shrug:

The "simple" model aircraft engines like the .049s are 2-stroke glow ignition IC engines. The red-hot element in the glowplug acts as a catalyst to ignite the mixture at ~TDC. This saves on the weight and complexity of spark ignition, but fuel can be quite expensive. (Little ones don't "drink" much though!)

I got into this hobby from R/C airplanes. I inherited my grampa's 9"SB, and started fixing crash-damaged and worn out engines given to me when I was a teenager. Some of them still run today!

I've started a few scratch-built engines, but haven't successfully completed any as of yet . . .

DJD

There are many people who build single cylinder aero engines. I have made a few myself.

As far as aircraft engines that look like aircraft engines, Yep. There are many of those around also.

This one kills two birds with one stone.

DSCN0893.jpg

Might want to check out this site - http://modelenginenews.org/ - lots of info, and if you pay the registration you get access to all their plans also.

There are a few free plans available on the site also.

Latest posts

Back