Air Compressors and Rigging

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall

Reaction score
New member.

Worked for Ingersoll Rand as factory trained tech for a number of years. I went out on the jobs no one else wanted, ie the older and larger reciprocating compressors. Did my fair share of type 30 compressors also, air cooled 2 and 3 cylinder compressors up to 30 HP.

Also have done rigging and machine tool moving for over 30 years now. Have moved lathes, mills, planers, gear hobbers, etc for the machine shop. I have been involved with moving Linotypes, printing presses, stationary steam and diesel engines, generators, air compressors ,etc.

If I can be of any help, just ask.

Marshall

Still a lot of those big IR recips around - one of my clients has four 750hp units and another has two 1000hp units. Those things will last forever if you take care of them.....

New member.

Worked for Ingersoll Rand as factory trained tech for a number of years. I went out on the jobs no one else wanted, ie the older and larger reciprocating compressors. Did my fair share of type 30 compressors also, air cooled 2 and 3 cylinder compressors up to 30 HP.

Also have done rigging and machine tool moving for over 30 years now. Have moved lathes, mills, planers, gear hobbers, etc for the machine shop. I have been involved with moving Linotypes, printing presses, stationary steam and diesel engines, generators, air compressors ,etc.

If I can be of any help, just ask.

Marshall

Hi Marshall,

Gus Teng worked with Ingersoll-Rand for 32 years,doing field installation of ESVs,ESH,XLEs,PHEs and Centacs. Built ESV packages on Singapore.Built from scratch Type-30 assembly/packaging plant in Singapore 1980----2001. Retrenched in 2001.
Was in China with Ingersoll-Rand Type-30 plant for 12 months helping them to get on line.

I love those watercooled machines built at Painted Post plant and later in India.These machines will run forever and ever.HHE 10 was a real 10 cylinder monster. We have 4 in Singapore doing air liquidfying.

Some of my repairmen are making good money keeping ESVs------XLEs
working. Not too many left.

I am still in contact with the AirPower colleaques now all retired. Passed my time building model engines and have yet to build a mini 7t2.

Nice to meet you in this forum.Stay in touch.Were you ever in Campbellsville plant. Joe Fair is retired.

Still a lot of those big IR recips around - one of my clients has four 750hp units and another has two 1000hp units. Those things will last forever if you take care of them.....

Hi Tim,

Nice to meet another huge compressor fan.
The very first time I stood next to a 12x9 ESV at Texas Instrument Plant Singapore was frightening compared to the 10----20 HP BroomeWades at Metal Box Plant(Continental Can). So was the 300hp XLE at GoodYear Rubber Tyre Plant in Indonesia. Sadly some customers got duped into buying Rotary Screws which are not very energy efficient at full load,part load and no load.

All I have left is sweet memories bidding,field installation,servicing and repairs of these huge compressors.

Was in China helping Nanjing Plant to reverse engineer 15t4s and boosters using 15t2 and 7t2 parts.

Take care.

Love the big iron. Models are great too although I haven't had the spare time to build one, yet. Want to build a model of a larger corliss steam engine.

Right now I am trying to save a IR model ER-2 12X5X8 tandem compressor.
I think it would fit in perfect with my soon to be built 1930's era machine shop. It is close to 800 miles away, so I am working on a rescue plan.

I rebuilt an ESH-2 back in the mid 90's. 125 HP 400 psi the ER-2 is older.
Rebuilt several XLE's, lots of LLE's and some ESv/H's.
Always looking for air compressor manuals for the older recips.

Marshall

OH.I forgot the LLEs. We gave AtlasCopco a good fight. The LLEs took all orders when quoted against AC. Have not worked on ER. Did build 5 ESP12x9 Gas Compressor Packages for Pertamina,Indonesia. Built many cement blowing packages with Type-40 L75 driven with GM engines. Enjoyed my time with IR. Jim Perella visted us several times.
Take care.

Hello IR Fans
I thought you might recognize my new coat rack, made it from an access panel from a 1963 XLE compressor. Great machine, still have two of them at the eddy stone coal plant in pa. It would be an interesting build with the motor electrics involved. Maybe a DC motor and a lot of time.
Johnny O

image.jpg

I don't know much about compressors but my dad worked at the heating and cooling plant for the local university. They used a Worthington compressor a monster of a thing. After he retired they replaced it, I think they are on the third compressor now since the Worthington's demise I think it was built in the 1930's they had to have a couple of 2-300 pounders hanging off the back of the forklift to remove the flywheel from the building. I don't know the particulars about the compressor but could ask my uncle.
Art

Latest posts

Back