Air compressor engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My spark plug wire terminations and boots showed up today so I got them installed.

DSCN0659s.jpg

DSCN0660s.jpg

I sure like the looks of this engine, Steve. Wish I could get to NAMES to see it in person.

Pat

Very nice job, Steve! This engine is coming along nice!!! Can't wait to hear it's sound..

Now the only thing missing will be an "engine air compressor" for your "air compressor engine"!

awsome looking and detailing, ht wire holder and all
the transistor your using for the ignition can climp up to 200/f sitting between fins check
temp when running:fan:
cheers

Luc

Great looking engine, Steve. I bet this thing will really sound off.

What is the coil you are using?

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

The coil is for a two cylinder snowmobile and I think seadoo. Amazon was dumping them a month or so back. There must have been a hundred of them on there. I grabbed 2 of them for around 35 bucks each. Don't remember how much. I'm wondering if a dealer or repair shop was clearing off the shelves to make room for newer parts. They were all 80's and 90's brand new in the box.

I couldn't wait any longer so I made my own cutters. I made a 30, 45, and 60 degree cutter. After this pic was taken I knocked down the back side of the teeth with the dremel tool. All seemed to go well and the heads are assembled fully.

DSCN0662s.jpg

So right now the heads are done. All the fittings in the block have been doped and tightened. The block now has oil in it. I assembled all the timing gears and set the cam timing. I am now at the point where I need to clean parts and put them on. I still need to make intake and exhaust gaskets.

We are in the home stretch!

DSCN0664s.jpg

I made my own cutters. I made a 30, 45, and 60 degree cutter. After this pic was taken I knocked down the back side of the teeth with the dremel tool.

Those are really cool cutters!

By dremel grinding the back edges, is that because the cutters were heat treat hardened?

I see the knurl there on the edge, are these cutters intended for hand turning vs. powered in an electric drill or something?

Those radial slots to make the teeth relief, is that using an end mill?

I assume by the 30, 45, 60 deg set you are ending up with a nice thin 45 valve seat contact area & the other 2 sizes are for relief?. Do you have a trick that regulates depth because this must be pretty small amount of material to remove?

I couldn't wait any longer

haha who can?, those cutters looks great, i though it would be more complicated to do with more angles, is that the same principle as in D bits cutters?

Those are really cool cutters!

By dremel grinding the back edges, is that because the cutters were heat treat hardened?

I see the knurl there on the edge, are these cutters intended for hand turning vs. powered in an electric drill or something?

Those radial slots to make the teeth relief, is that using an end mill?

I assume by the 30, 45, 60 deg set you are ending up with a nice thin 45 valve seat contact area & the other 2 sizes are for relief?. Do you have a trick that regulates depth because this must be pretty small amount of material to remove?

They were not hardened. Just wanted to cut reliefs in the rear of the teeth. 3 of the seats were real good and only needed a quick swipe. One needed more attention.

Yes they were intended to be turned by hand.

Yes 1/8 inch end mill.

No trick. Just cut a little here and a little there. I use a sharpie to darken the metal and make it easier to see what i'm cutting. Turning by hand removes very little material so over doing it was harder than you think.

Hey Steve,

I like your solution to the valve seat cutter problem, I will keep that in mind for future reference. Are you planning to bring your straight 8 to names ?

Art

Hey Steve,

I like your solution to the valve seat cutter problem, I will keep that in mind for future reference. Are you planning to bring your straight 8 to names ?

Art

Hello Art!

I could bring it if you would like to see it. Would you like to see it assembled or would you rather see it with the head, oil pan, and manifolds off?

Mawitö;210426 said:
haha who can?, those cutters looks great, i though it would be more complicated to do with more angles, is that the same principle as in D bits cutters?

You could get fancy with angles but the job did not require it. I could have gotten crazy with relief cuts and hardening. If I make new ones for something I might.

I could bring it if you would like to see it. Would you like to see it assembled or would you rather see it with the head, oil pan, and manifolds off?

do you have pictures of it on HMEM

I have been getting some PM's on when I think I'm going to start the compressor. I am going to try to answer that question with this update.

The manifolds are sand blasted and painted. The intake is gloss black to match the flywheel. The exhaust pipes are a satin black but they look more flat to me. Couldn't get a gloss in a 1300F degree paint. Still need to make a template so the manifold gaskets can be made. I like to take the time to make templates because my gaskets are near perfect and if I ever need another one I can whip one out in just a few minutes.

Then I need to do the wiring. I have not even looked at how I will go about that. I cant see it taking more than a few hours after I get too it.

Still need to make a socket to crank the motor with a drill motor. I did crank the motor over with the flywheel and could feel definite compression so at least 2 of the seats are good.

Tomorrow is out of the question so if I get some time in the garage during the week, I might try cranking on it by next weekend?

That's where i'm at right now.

Steve,

As much as I'd like to see it together I think I'd rather see it apart. Now that you have the links fixed I'll have to go back through the build thread and see the pictures.

Art

Latest posts

Back