Air compressor engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can these compressor conversions do real work? The above conversion outlined by Steve, certainly looks like it has the cajones to do something useful besides just burning gas. Many conversions come close to having the bore and stroke of some of the antiques, so these conversions must be at least as powerful as some of the old engines. Are these original compressors-now-engines built strong enough to do consistent work? Will the bearings last, will the con-rods hold up under loads, etc.

Generally, are air-compressors designed to be stronger than the equivalent-sized, bore and stroke, gas engine?

Just wondering....

Frank

The compressor pump I used internally is real close to what you would see in a briggs stratton engine. I have no doubt it could do "real work" but how much is a mystery. The trouble is luberification. When converting a compressor the camshaft usually ends up outside of the crankcase so some manual oiling needs to be done. Im sure it could do the same work as a briggs but would need more baby sitting.

Thank-you Steve;

In my hurry to read, and see everything, I guess I missed the exact alloy/type of solder. Thanks for the clarification.

Again, thanks for the compressor vs engine, strength opinions. The lube problems that you mentioned just never occurred to me. Yes, the cam mounted outside of the crank-case has to get some juice too. I wonder if little, screw-on oil cups, would help keep everything nice and slick.

Now, I'll sit back and wait for the conclusion of the build, and I'm hoping, the video. I got my popcorn ready.

Frank

Thank-you Steve;

In my hurry to read, and see everything, I guess I missed the exact alloy/type of solder. Thanks for the clarification.

Again, thanks for the compressor vs engine, strength opinions. The lube problems that you mentioned just never occurred to me. Yes, the cam mounted outside of the crank-case has to get some juice too. I wonder if little, screw-on oil cups, would help keep everything nice and slick.

Now, I'll sit back and wait for the conclusion of the build, and I'm hoping, the video. I got my popcorn ready.

Frank

It might be a while. I'm waiting to stumble across a piece of steel big enough to make a flywheel and them mount a starter. I'm focused on the blown V8 until that day comes.

Thanks Steve,

I went back and looked at the valve-making video again, and I cannot explain why I asked such a stupid question about the silver-solder. I can't believe I asked about "soft" solder. I actually wanted to ask you about the melting points of the silver-solder alloy used to make the valves. Of course, soft solder would be a "poor" choice to say the least.

You were very nice to clear up my mistake. I must have given you and others a good laugh. My face is red.

I need to proof-read more accurately before posting questions.

My apologies. My senility is showing.....

Frank

Thanks Steve,

You were very nice to clear up my mistake. I must have given you and others a good laugh. My face is red.

I need to proof-read more accurately before posting questions.

My apologies. My senility is showing.....

Frank

I don't know if you noticed or not but nobody was quick to point out the boo boo. That's the kind of crowd these people are. I believe most around here feel it's more important that we learn and will never tease for asking a question. Don't ever feel like you can't ask a question even if you think it's dumb. I've asked some whoppers myself and i'll do it again someday. There are those on here that will try to steer you right but almost no one will try to make you feel bad about it. There are forums out there were members will beat you up pretty good for dumb questions, this is not one of them.

You are so right Steve. Gracious ladies and gents. here. Not one pointed out my laughable error, and I chose not to delete the whole Q and A postings because I want to keep things in context. I used to make jewelery and used silver solder all the time. I knew it came in three melting ranges, but yet, I still worded the soldering question incorrectly, and made myself look like a dope.

It won't be the last time that I do this either. : )

Frank

Hi Steve,
I've been out of town the whole weekend and missed much of this thread. Two things, can you get a used car flywheel and modify it to use on your engine. Its something the local junk yard would have laying around. This may be a stupid idea but if you flip the starter to the opposite side of the engine will that do the trick or will it just turn the same way. I can't picture it in my head.
Art

Hi Steve,
I've been out of town the whole weekend and missed much of this thread. Two things, can you get a used car flywheel and modify it to use on your engine. Its something the local junk yard would have laying around. This may be a stupid idea but if you flip the starter to the opposite side of the engine will that do the trick or will it just turn the same way. I can't picture it in my head.
Art

I thought about it but they are to big. I need something about 6-7 inches in diameter.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for asking my bones are healed pretty well, but I am going through PT to retrain the muscles and joint to do what they're supposed to. I today for the first time tied my work apron behind my back (more to the left side) and can touch the back side if my right shoulder. But now the computer for my mill is on the fritz :wall: and the computer repair shop I usually use has radically changed its business form. In home & $100 up front rather than drop off at the store, makes you want to go hmm.
Art

Hi Steve
I have a 7 1/2 in steel flywheel with a starter ring gear on it. It has a taper hole
.550 to .750 and the outside of the hub is 1.350 so it can be drill out some.
It has 6 magnet on the inside that can be taken out and plastic fins that
come off. It weight 11 lb. but it can be made lighter. I will give it to you
if you pay the shipping. Shipping will be around $10.00
Wayne

It has 103 teeth so you need a odd no. of teeth on you starter. the teeth are .060 at
the top and around .215 at the bottom. I looked in the machinery's handbook and it
looks like the 10 pitch is a little taller so this one may be a 12 pitch. I think this flywheel
is off a 8 HP Brigg. Sorry I don't have the starter for it.
Wayne

I know a man that has a barn full of junk engine. I may be able to
get a match pair for $20. or $30. He might have one that is a 10
pitch. It may have to be a 10 or 12 in. flywheel.
Wayne

Back