Air compressor engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made the new camshaft blank. Tomorrow I should have it completed. Oh yeah, and correctly.

DSCN0645s_zpsd00830c7.jpg

I also made the flange to mount the carb to the manifold. Still need to solder it to the manifold.

DSCN0647s_zps536c6754.jpg

DSCN0648s_zps08ae6fbc.jpg

What did you wind up pickling your copper pipe in?

I havent. The Intake I soldered with plumbing solder so it looks ok. The exhaust was done with sil-flo solder. That stuff needed the pipe almost red to get it to flow so the exhaust pipe looks real bad. I am most likely going to sand blast and paint with high heat flat black paint. Chrome is out of the question because of price.

If you follow all those boiler builds they come out pretty darn ugly with several different trips under the torch, the citric acid cleans them up nice.
There is a plating shop at the end of Plymouth Mettetal's runway we use for cad plating. Cheap prices but dont think it will stand up to the heat, works great on suspension parts though. Im guessing you dont want to send it out to jet-hot? :D

Well thanks again everybody for the positive comments!

All the parts are made except for something to mount it to. Still not sure on that one.

Still need to. .

Waiting to find a 45 degree valve seat cutter that will work.
Need to terminate the spark plug wires.
Need to wire up the ignition circuit.
Need to "setup the engine, cam timing, ignition timing, ect.
Need to paint a few things.
Need to make a socket to fit the crankshaft so I can start it.

I'm sure I missed a few. Won't be much going on here for a week or so. When I get set and ready, i'll let everybody know. Seat cutter is the big one right now.

DSCN0651s.jpg

DSCN0657s.jpg

DSCN0658s.jpg

DSCN0653s.jpg

DSCN0655s.jpg

DSCN0656s.jpg

great looking engine Thm: why is the seat cutting a problem 45 degree is standard

great looking engine Thm: why is the seat cutting a problem 45 degree is standard

Brand new they are over 500 bucks for a small set. I have been trolling craigs list and the local tool guys to find a used one. If I don't find one in a week or so I will try to make one. I have something designed already. All I need is a 45 degree cutter with a 1/4 inch pilot that is between 1-3/8 and 1-1/4 diameter. I have irons in the fire.

Last edited:
Hey Steve,

Would a valve seat tool from a lawn mower engine work? if so a small engine repair shop would have that. I know that earlier there was concern that the flywheel wouldn't stand up to the RPM are you going to use some sort of rev limiter? and lastly what's that car attached to the fender in the photo's?

Art

Hey Steve,

Would a valve seat tool from a lawn mower engine work? if so a small engine repair shop would have that. I know that earlier there was concern that the flywheel wouldn't stand up to the RPM are you going to use some sort of rev limiter? and lastly what's that car attached to the fender in the photo's?

Art

The modern tool is a fancy head with threads in it. They accept carbide inserts and different pilots. Thats what everybody seems to have and or sell now. There are thousands of old style cutters out there, I just need to find one.

The flywheel will only be on when the engine is not running. Display purposes only. I will take it off when starting the engine. I do not want to chance hurting myself or anybody else. I think it's important that it be on there to show that it was a compressor pump.

That would be a 28 ford

DSCN0868s.jpg

MODELAM2s.jpg

Brand new they are over 500 bucks for a small set. I have been trolling craigs list and the local tool guys to find a used one. If I don't find one in a week or so I will try to make one. I have something designed already. All I need is a 45 degree cutter with a 1/4 inch pilot that is between 1-3/8 and 1-1/4 diameter. I have irons in the fire.

that diameter is with in motor cycle range
I use to valve seat with a stone and dressing carbide tip to shape it back
a small grinding stone is not availlable anymore???

that diameter is with in motor cycle range
I use to valve seat with a stone and dressing carbide tip to shape it back
a small grinding stone is not availlable anymore???

The stones are available but I would need to make a pilot. After mounting the stone it should be dressed before using. I don't have the equipment to grind them in. Also If I remember right the motor has a shaft that is connected to the pilot with some sort of flex joint. That way the motor wont influence the angle of the pilot.

Hi Steve,

Your progress is great and the look also is very cool !!!

Cheers,

Alexandre

Page 2604, 4522A263 at McMaster, dress it 45 degrees, slide the shank down the valve guide and spin it with a suction cup lapper. :D

The problem would be dressing it to 45 degrees. I don't have one of those diamond tipped dressing tools. The shank is too short. It would barely make it into the guide. If the shank was longer I would start looking for the dressing tip.

Thanks for trying. That was a darn good idea.

Back