Air Compressor ID

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I acquired an old air compressor. Don't ask. Sometimes I just do dumb things. It is 2 1/2 bore x 2" stroke. The valves are leaking and I have not been able to repair them and I cannot find out who made the compressor so I cannot find replacement valves. I am not really understanding what is going on. I cannot get over 50 PSI and when I shut it off it leaks back through the intake port. Anyone identify this thing?

1640700829155.jpeg

1640700888511.jpeg

1640700941432.jpeg

Thanks to someone on another forum I have determined that it is a Quincy model 210. I have also determined that the cost of the parts to fix it cost more than the thing is worth.

Hi Gordon
I rebuilt my compressor and yours looks to have the same type of valve arrangement. before I rebuilt it from the bottom up I did a valve job a couple of years ago. Here are the valves and springs I took out for the recent rebuild.

P1050476.JPG

The big ones are 50mm and the smaller high pressure valves are 32mm.

I had a bad leak down problem and did the valve job. The Valves are simply big hard disks. when I did the valve job it was simply a matter of lapping them on a glass plate with some wet / dry sandpaper. It worked well and solved my leak down problem and kept me happy for several years until I thought I was getting blow by on the rings so I rebuilt the whole thing.
The valve job only took a few hours and cost nothing, may be worth a try.

Scott

This one is a little bit more complicated than that. The disk is broken and the spring (2.4) is in three pieces. part 2.1 and 2.2 are press fit together. I tried doing what you did but it did not really work. There is also a LOT of leakage pass the rings into the crankcase. If I put pressure of 20# at the output it blows the dip stick out of the crankcase.

1640716387238.jpeg

That does sound pretty whipped.
I just wanted to make sure you knew the "servicing" of the parts was not too bad if serviceable.

Scott

Unless there is some sort of sentimental connection to it or if you have a specific urge to rebuild, I think she’s due for the scrap yard.

Back