Acrylic Tubing for "MISER" engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putputman

Reaction score
Need some help!!!

I would like to build Jerry Howells "Miser" stirling engine. I checked on his "hard to get" parts kits and it is only bearings and graphite for the piston. I am concerned as where to get the acrylic tubing for the base. He says check with local plastic suppliers. ??? ??? ???

Several of HMEM people have built this engine. Could you tell me where you got the acrylic? It is such a short length that most suppliers probably won't bother with it.

I'm located in Minnesota.

Thanks in advance

When I built Miser, it was included in Jerry's kit.

It's really too bad if he's stopped including the segment of acrylic tube in the "hard to get parts" kit.

www.mcmaster.com sells it by the foot, but even a foot is way more than you need.

I used 1/4" Plexiglass sheet and used acetone to put them together. It will make an invisible joint if you are careful.

Mine is not one of Jerry's engines, however.

What size tubing do you need?

Kevin

Kevin, I guess I don't know what size acrylic tubing I need as I haven't purchased the plans from Howell yet and I probably won't until I know I can get the tubing a a reasonable price. I certainly don't want to buy a 10 ft piece,( like some suppliers want to sell).

Maybe someone who has built one of his "Misers" could tell me what I need.

Mainer, can you tell me what diameter and wall thickness is used on Jerry's design?

Thanks for the headsup on McMaster Carr. I use them a lot. I should have looked at them first. They have a good selection of sizes. Just have to know what is required.

Here in Wausau WI, there's an industrial plastic supply house that sells random "drops" in the front office at the warehouse. Never know what they have to offer, and it's not ultra cheep, but then they might have something useful. Used to be, there was a 'Business to Business' yellow pages available that had more industrial type listings.

I know it's not clear, I used a PVC coupling in 4" diam. for a cylinder. Got it at the home supply center for less than a couple of bucks. Part it off to the right length. Make the displacer piston accordingly. BTW, my stirling is not a Howell design. If you spent the $$ and time to make the MISER, saving a couple of dollars for a cheap opaque cylinder seems a 'sin' :eek:
Hope this helps.
DB

Jerry's plans call for 6" o.d., 5.5" i.d., 0.875" long.

Latest posts

Back