A Tiny I'm working on.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The engine is really coming along nicely. Great work.

It (they?) are looking good Doc, the governor weights are particularly nice.

I do hope that the spark plug is not too close to the rocker arm pillar. I did some tests on one of my heads and the spark jumped across even though I had modified the angle of the plug to increase the gap. When I get back to it I intend to use either the angled plug version or to redesign it so the plug comes in on a radius. Alternatively, it might work with a longer insulator.

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim I did install the plug in head and tested it it seemed to work ok. I know it was firing inside I rotated the crank until the exhaust valve was in the open position and put my ear up next to the port and I could hear it firing inside. Didn't see any arking anywhere on the out side. That doesn't mean it wont ark over after it is running and cylinder is under compression. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it will be ok. Today I had some more work (paying work) come my way so not sure when I'll get back to it.
Thanks for the comments Jim the governor was laid out in cad matter fact I have the whole engine modeled up in cad, before I started the governor assembly. I need to order some lighter springs I know the ones (the lightest I have) I have in the assembly are to heavy.

Ok back to my tinys I was side tracked with some paying jobs and then with play with my NC machine checking some programs. Here is what I came up with for an adjustable timing ignition. Should be able to loosen the 3 screws and adjust the gear ring to move the magnet to where it needs to be. Now to get started on it.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISl7ppHd3Zs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISl7ppHd3Zs[/ame]

Doc, that animation is awesome. This site just gets better and better. The old-fashioned magazines just can't keep up. :bow: :bow:

Jim

Thanks Jim,
I've been a long time subscriber to the Home Shop Machinist mag and I have to agree this website rules!

Anyway I have the little unit done excpt for the magnet hole which I need to order some small magnets to finish.
I've decided to make a small spark plug boot cap out of some Teflon to eliminate the possibility of cross arking to the rocker arm.

timing-gear.jpg

timing-gear2.jpg

timing-gear3.jpg

I need to get some drills ordered and get back on this and kick it in the butt and get them done. I have been busy doing other things and they have been neglected. I need to make the fuel mixer and wire up the ignition and give them a spin.
With golfing about to start been busy getting cart ready and hitting the driving range. :big:
The 26th is the first mens night for the season at our local golf coarse it will feel good getting out on the coarse again.

Looks good Doc, I'm still watching and learning. When I get back to mine I should have all the clues. ;D

Jim

Latest posts

Back