A Tiny I'm working on.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc1955

Gone
Reaction score
Here is a pic of some parts of the latest build I'm doing. It is a couple of Putputmans Tiny finally getting around to it. Been wanting to build one since I seen it posted here.
Thanks Putputmann!
tinyparts.jpg

Nice start you have got there. I don't think that cam in the background will suit :big:
Brock

ShedBoy said:
Nice start you have got there. I don't think that cam in the background will suit :big:
Brock

Hahaha probably not. I need to stop and clean up my mess on my bench one of these days. But I do know where everything is at :big:
here is a shot of my mess.
bench-mess.jpg

waiting for the dykem to dry.
cranks.jpg

Ok dykem dried scribed out cuts band sawed and now back to the lathe for awhile.
I'll get to cleaning my bench up really well maybe after this build. I have 14 days to get these or at least 1 together and running (for my father-in-laws birthday)
crank.jpg

Funny thing - my benches get like that. I have lots of bench but always seem to be working in something the size of an A4 sheet of paper. ???

So you have 14 days to finish the Tiny. It took me much longer to come to a grinding halt so I will follow your thread with interest. I do intend to get back to the Tiny now that I have seen the great postings by putputman and gbritnell. But gotta finish the current engine first.

Go to it

Jim

Thanks Jim
I would like to get it done in time for his birthday not saying I will but I'll give it a try.
I need to purchase another ignition system for it and I'm debating myself on useing o rings or cast iron rings right now I'm leaning to cast iron rings i have never tried o-rings and I have always had good luck with making cast iron rings. I also have some engines I've built with aluminum valve seats and they seem to be holding up real well so I may make the head out of 7075 -t6 aluminum instead of brass.
Still working the cranks just took a little break I should have them done before supper I hope.

Great going, Doc.

"Tiny" has to be the most fun engine I have ever built. Of course I say that about every engine when it is completed, but this time I really mean it. I have built 9 of them now, all in hit-n-miss configuration and air cooled.
Except for two of them they are all going to power projects that are are either planned or under way.

I had not run any of them since early November, so seeing your post I put 5ml of fuel in one that was mounted and away it went. Should run for about an hour and a half. Makes good background music while I am wsorking in the shop.

I started out with an O-ring on the piston but after trying several things I ended up with a lapped cast iron piston in a cast iron cylinder. The O-ring version ran hot with all the configurations I tried. Current version running in H-N-M mode it is hard to tell that it is much above room temperature.

Gail in NM

Thanks for the info Gail!
Well it's super time done for tonight and tomorrow Christmas vacation is over so back to my real job.
Cranks are done except a little more deburing.

crank2.jpg

Sorry Gail, I forgot about the superb work you did including the H&M. That thread is really so inspiring; I have downloaded it all but have not yet finished indexing it. And maybe I need to put more detail in my index.

BTW does anybody know how to concatenate the downloads into a single session?

Jim

Great job on the Tiny so far Doc!

I too am very partial to this engine, although I don't posses a stockpile ;) I would like to build another one, or two. Gails "Hit and Miss" version is really neat, and its so darn........well.......Tiny, you cant help but want more.

Kel

Got the crank bushings done and a good start on the c rods. Tonight I laid out the gears in cad and created a cad model of a single point tool I'll attempt to make a single point tool out of some tool steel and heat treat for the 48p gears. So far so good but I will have to pick up the pace.

Just a quick note and pic so far so good just finished heads valves need keepers and grooves for keeper I'll need a little collet sleeve next on the agenda. Still need to get gear cutter made I have a drawing for it completed it should be a simple make.

tiny162012parts.jpg

Keepers made. (only lost one in the chip pan) :big:
tinykeepers.jpg

Now to get the valves totally complete and round up some springs and put them together.

WOW - Talk about perspective. Good job just keeping track of most of them.
Great looking build too.

Regards,
Maverick

Thanks Maverick
After the loss of the first one in the chip pan some where I put a pin in the tail stock and extended it into the center of the part as a part catcher.

Found some springs I think will work the intake may be a little heavy may have to either find smaller or remove a couple loops.
tinyheads.jpg

Ok one small single point gear cutter made will try and get it heat treated this week.
I started with a 1/4 square piece of A-2. Here are a couple pics.

gearcutter.jpg

gearcutter2.jpg

Looks nice, Doc.
Do I see a H-N-M governor hidden in there? ;D
Gail in NM

Yes they will be H-N-M engines I have the brackets modeled up only parts I gave left to model are the valves, spark plug and springs.
Lots of parts to make in the shop. I'll finish roughing out the fly wheels tomorrow and get started on the piston rings. I've never made piston rings this small the smallest I've made was .500 plus this will be the smallest spark plug I've made. There will be a few firsts for me in this engine smallest gov also and smallest carb setup too but so far it has been a fun build.

Latest posts

Back