A Tiny I'm working on.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work on the governor. The big ones are hard enough to adjust, I can't imagine trying it on a 'Tiny'.
gbritnell

That sounds like another interesting variation on the basic theme, I wonder how many more will emerge.

How will you do it Kaleb? Use the underside of the piston like Jan Ridders' Debbie? Or have you some cunning plan?

Jim

Thanks for the comments guys I'm still feeling under the weather but better than yesterday so I'm on the mend. I hate being sick and not feeling up to going out in the shop.
I did do a little modeling in cad but even that was a chore and my head started pounding after a short while. Maybe tomorrow I can resume things in the shop.
I did order a CDI ignition the one going to my father-in-law will have a dedicated system the other I'll just make some plug ins for my ignition box and it showed up yesterday that was fast. They must have sent it the day I ordered it I am impressed with the place and here is a little plug for them.

Order here CDI (capacitor Discharge Ignition)

Yes, they are good. That's where I buy mine and they are prompt delivering to Australia. Pity they have to use UPS at exorbitant shipping rates.

Jim

Well back in the shop feeling better but still not up to normal. Anyway did get the pins for the spring adjustment done.

spring-adj-shafts.jpg

spring-adj-shafts2.jpg

Ok governor spool leaver done. Things going pretty good knock on wood. :big:
Next the governor lock pin.

gov-leaver.jpg

gov-leaver2.jpg

Brilliant! But I am not sure of the size of the coins. Could you send some please so I will be really impressed. :big:

Jim

:big: :big:
It is a US dime aprox .700 inch in dia. :big:
I'd send it to you but its the last dime I have don't ya know! :big: :big:
Well it's supper time until tomorrow I bid you a far well. ::)

scale-dime.jpg

Ok off to a good start this after noon. Milled out the gov latch pins and turned up the little drive pin for them and pressed pin in place .Now for the little mount for them.

gov-lock-pin.jpg

gov-lock-pin3.jpg

gov-lock-pin4.jpg

Well it that time again, time to have supper and contemplate my next move.
Here is a shot of the gov parts laid in place start mounting to frame tomorrow.

gov-mount.jpg

gov-ay2.jpg

Yes, ok, I must admit it: I am impressed. That is going to be one superb little engine.

Jim

Beauty parts Doc!

That's going to be a great set-up.

Thanks Jim and Kevin.

I’m just setting here contemplating on the finish for the motors.
Just leave the machining marks, grit blast for a satin finish, polish tool marks out or a little paint.
Maybe anodize the frame I don't know. This has been a challenge for me to be able to see and machine these little parts but I must say it has been a fun build so far (but any build is enjoyable it seems).
I think I'm at a point I need to decide at the type of finished look to go for so I can start putting things in place.

Well got a little done today looks Like all that is left to do is the push rod and carb. and the spark plugs. Getting close to first run. Didn't get much time in the shop the last couple days hope to get a few hours to sneak off to the shop tomorrow.

Well after playing with one of my engines I did get back on track and got the push rod ends and push rods done.
Now for the spark plug not sure how I'm going to address the ignition yet. I am thinking of adding another gear assembly and that way I can adjust the timing without messing with anything else.

tiny-assembly.jpg

tiny-assembly2.jpg

I drilled a hole in the cam gear for a tiny magnet and snuck a hall effect sensor on a slotted plate between the gear and the block. Very tight fit.

Pictures somewhere. I should hunt them down and start a thread with some of my "enhancements"

Lee

AussieJimG said:
They're looking good. And there's that dime again. :D

Jim

:big: :big: Thanks Jim!

LeeScrounger said:
I drilled a hole in the cam gear for a tiny magnet and snuck a hall effect sensor on a slotted plate between the gear and the block. Very tight fit.

Pictures somewhere. I should hunt them down and start a thread with some of my "enhancements"

Lee
I was kind of going along that line but then I thought maybe add another gear the same size as the cam gear and make it in 2 parts where the gear teeth can be moved around the perimeter and a small pocket in frame body for the hall effect or a set of contacts running on it. Id be interested in how you did yours.

Well haven't gotten to much done on my tinys (had paying jobs come my way) I did get the spark plugs done and they seem to work ok.
I finished up the jobs that came today and made a few bucks for maybe some more shop supplies.

spark-plug.jpg

spark-plug2.jpg

spark-plug3.jpg

spark-plug4.jpg

Some more pics of the tiny and the way she stands now. Now to get the fuel system in place getting close.

spark-plug5.jpg

spark-plug6.jpg

spark-plug7.jpg

Latest posts

Back