A small steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich,

You have a very good story going on here. :bow: Keep up the great work. :bow:

Regards

Philly

Nice...very nice... :bow: :bow: :bow:
Cheers
Paolo

Good work Rich, it's looking really good.

Nick

Hi

Thankyou Nick, Paolo, Philly

Here it is after a night in the pickle and a quick buff up.

DSC08682.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

I really like your soldering and brazing work. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Hi

Thanks Bob

Hers the frame having a 1mm hole drilled through the crank bearing and cylinder pivot.

DSC08686.jpg

Then drilled and tapped.

DSC08691.jpg

The oil cups screwed in.

DSC08695.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Thats really coming along nicely Rich - you make it look so simple :bow:

And I fully agree with what Bob said about your soldering & brazing :bow:

Regards, Arnold

Hi

Iv'e been chatting to John Bogstandard and he suggested 2 further things to do to complete the setup. Firstly a steam/oil separator. This does what it says on the tin and separates the steam oil from the steam. They look pretty neat and I think one would look good. Secondly, pipe the exhaust steam back into the funnel where it is re heated and will give a nice effect.

Hopefully tommorrow.

Cheers

Rich

Hi

I made the steam/oil separator today. The idea is that the exhaust and steam oil mix enters the separator and is deflected down and towards the cooler side wall. The oil drops to the bottom while the steam exits through a larger pipe and is then piped to the funnel where it is re heated and (hopefully) comes out the top of the funnel as a nice plume. My thanks again to John Bogstandard for his help and guidance.

The chamber is made from a piece of 22mm copper pipe. Turn a piece of brass to suit the internal dia of the 22mm pipe. I used a round profile cutter to give a bit of shape as well.

DSC08700.jpg

Test fit a piece of the pipe.

DSC08701.jpg

Drill and tap the centre 3/16 x 40. I intend to mount the boiler, engine, separator and lubrcator on a plate of some sort so the stud will be used to mount it.

DSC08702.jpg

Contersink slightly to give somewhere for the silver solder to run.

DSC08705.jpg

Part off.

DSC08706.jpg

The finished base.

DSC08708.jpg

The lid is made a nice fit in the tube, nothing else holds it in so give it a bit of weight. This can be any shape you like. Lightly drill the centre.

DSC08710.jpg

Use a parting tool to turne to the internal dia of the 22mm tube then part off.

DSC08711.jpg

Fill the small recess with flux and a ring of silver solder wire.

DSC08712.jpg

Balance a stainless steel ball on top and heat with the torch to solder in place.

DSC08714.jpg

The tube and base.

DSC08715.jpg

Thread a length of brass 3/16 x 40 to make a stud.

DSC08716.jpg

And screw into the base. Apply flux and a ring of silver solder wire in the recess.

DSC08719.jpg

A ring of silver solder wire inside the tube.

DSC08720.jpg

Flux the base and place the tube on the base. All ready to solder the tube to the base and the stud all in one operation.

DSC08721.jpg

DSC08722.jpg

After soldering.

DSC08724.jpg

The tube is drilled through 3/32 then one side opened out to 1/8. A straight length of 1/8 copper tube is placed in one side and a piec of 3/32 copper tube in the othe. Note how the 3/32 is angled down and towards the wall. Flux and siver solder wire are placed on the inside of the chamber.

DSC08727.jpg

DSC08728.jpg

After soldering

DSC08729.jpg

Brass tubes, one threaded 1/4 x 40 and the other 3/16 x 40 are made and soldered in place similar to the displacement lubricator.

DSC08730.jpg

DSC08731.jpg

It needs a further pickle and then a polish but this is how it looks so far.

DSC08736.jpg

DSC08737.jpg

Cheers

Rich

This is fascinating. Thanks for all the pics.

Newbie question...drilled through 3/32 and one side 'opened' to 1/8...
Does 'opened' mean you simply used a 1/8 bit to make the hole larger?

Thanks.

Hi Carl

Yeah thats it. Enbiggered it wiv a 1/8 drill.

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

Nice work. I am new to all this machining and am quite impressed.

Question,

Where do you obtain your silver-solder?

Here in Germany around the local DIY stores there's only hard silver-solder sold in single sticks.

I am looking for some hard silver solder that is sold in a roll, similar to electonic's soft solder.

Looking forward to getting my mill soon, to be a compainion to my lathe.

Thanks

George Greer

Say Rich, A very cool 8) looking separator and nicely done. :bow: How would one go about draining the unit? Is it hard plumbed into the steam lines or does it get connected via silicon flex tubing ???

BC1
Jim

Hi

The silver solder question has been answered George, most model engineering suppliers stock it. I pick it up at one of the exhibitions I attend. Its very economical to use, only the ring of solder placed around the item to be soldered. I have some 1.5mm sticks but find them harder to use and it tends to go where you don't want it.

Jim, I'll empty it with a syringe. It should hold at least twice maybe three times the capacity of the lubricator so will only need emptying every second or third steam up. I'm going to hard plumb it as I intend to feed the outlet back up the funnel.

Cheers

Rich

firebird said:
Yeah thats it. Enbiggered it wiv a 1/8 drill.
Ha, I've always used the term "Embiggen". I wonder which is correct. ;D

Excellent oil seperator, I'm (really) posting here so I can find this thread in the near future.

Hi Rich
Nice work. I am quite impressed of that elegant water separator.... :bow: :bow: :bow:
Cheers
Paolo

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took it out of the pickle tonight and decided to give it a buff up. I don't know how but the buffing wheel snatched it out of my hands and slammed it into the bench giving it a nice dent and a bent and damaged pipe. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(. After half an hour of trying to recover it a few choice words were uttered and the separator went in the bin. I'll make another one but not today.

DSC08740.jpg

DSC08741.jpg

DSC08742.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Latest posts

Back