A small steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich,

Commiserations :( :(

I seethe machine shop devil has moved from my shop to yours. I wonder whose next on the pilgrimage.

Best Regards
Bob

OUCH... That's just no fair after a lot of work!

I really feel for you Rich :'(

Regards, Arnold

Ah, man, that's too bad. Is there no way to desolder and reuse the base and threaded bits of tubing?

Very sorry.

Maryak said:
I seethe machine shop devil has moved from my shop to yours. I wonder whose next on the pilgrimage.

Let it be me. Spare the good ones.

Hi

Thankyou gentlemen. Its not the first time a piece has gone bad and I dare say it won't be the last but it doe's hurt a little. I did de solder but the parts look terrible. Much better to start again I think and this time polish by hand. I still have the lid of course.

Cheers

Rich

Oh bloody Hell Rich! That is a bunch of s**t! :toilet: Man oh man, does that make me cringe. It has happened to all of us at one time or another and that feeling is not pleasant at all. It was looking so good too. :( :mad: :( :eek: :(

BC1
Jim

I'm very sorry...I know that kind of frustration...!!!
Best regards Paolo

Rich,
Super thread so far. Sorry about the problem. Amazing how soft that annealed copper is.
Dennis

Sorry to see that. Hope it works out for ou the second time. Losing the cap would have really hurt!

Good Luck moving forward,
Sean

Hi

After throwing all my toys out of my pram and not talking to anyone for a while all is back to normal now. I'm ready to have another go.

cheers

Rich

At a boy Rich, Thm:
I can't tell you how many times I did that to a model airplane spinner, trying to make it look like chrome! As soon as I saw the pic, I knew.
Tony

Serious OUCH on that one Rich ! :eek:

Love your continued documentation, words, pictures, keep it up. You have no idea how much your work is influencing and motivating the rest of us !!

Tossed a Karma point your way for all the work you do !

Mike

Hi

Many thanks Mike, thats greatly appreciated. Thm: Thm: Thm: Thm:

This is a fantastic hobby with mostly 'Highs'. You gotta accept the odd low.

Cheers

Rich

Hi

Got the new separator made. Identical to the first but I used 1/4 X 40 brass stud in this one purely because I had a bit already made left over from another job.

Here it is along side whats left of the first one and not polished yet. It won't be going anywhere near the buffing wheel!!!!!!

DSC08750.jpg

I have rigged up the pump onto the boiler to test the water guage. The glass has been fitted with a couple of 'O' rings. The nuts being tightened by hand. The pressure guage is mounted in the top water guage connector. No special reason why I did it that way other than I had an adapter ready made. I pumped it up to 40psi and it held the pressure ok. The only tiny leak coming from the adapter that the pressure guage screws on to. Thats not a problem as the water guage connector will have a bung in the top.

DSC08743.jpg

DSC08746.jpg

DSC08748.jpg

DSC08749.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Nice to see the new separator finished! Looking good Thm:

Hi

I drilled and tapped a piece of scrap and held the separator in the vise to polish it. A couple of minutes with brasso gave a nice polish.

DSC08752.jpg

DSC08753.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Hi

The steam from the exhaust will be fed back into the funnel so I had to make a connector that will screw into the engine frame to accept a 3/32 pipe nut.

One end of the connector has been turned and threaded and parted off. Here it is screwed into a piece of steel ready to have the other end machined.

DSC08758.jpg

Heres the finished part with a drawing.

DSC08760.jpg

The frame is drilled and tapped.

DSC08762.jpg

DSC08763.jpg

The connector screwed into the frame.

DSC08764.jpg

DSC08765.jpg

The end that screws into the frame, that is shown as 3/16 on the drawing, I had to reduce to 5/32 to be a comfortable fit.

Heres a couple of photos of the main parts so far.

DSC08766.jpg

DSC08767.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Geez, that's awesome. You guys are making me, with my Cracker project, feel like an amateur... or a caveman. :bow: ;D

It seams to be a really nice project!! :big: As You normally do...!!! :bow:
Cheers Paolo

Latest posts

Back