A Different Kind of Model

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
If it involves an engine I'm IN!

I bought a full set of plans to build this.

Carriage.jpg

It would be 2 years worth of work.
Welding the frame and steering assembly would be pressing my abilities.
The costs..... Well, my wife says, If you want to do it just DO IT!

I'm not sure just yet, but it might happen!

Rick

Rick
Don't let Ranger have a gander at that....LOL

Steve

Now that looks like a project!

Cool ... Is it like the Morgan.... Well in the way that If I put my name down now by the time you've built it I should be able to afford it!!!

I think you'll enjoy that one once you've finished... But will probably curse it a few hundred times during the build :big:

Keep us posted.

Ralph.

Rick,

Definitely a step back in the comfort stakes, but would be a giant leap forwards in the poser category.

Give it a go, and wack one of your supercharged lawnmower engines in it.

John

rake60 said:
Welding the frame and steering assembly would be pressing my abilities.

The wood isn't the frame? There's a steel frame underneath? Interesting.

John, supercharged lawnmower engines? *perk*

Best regards,

Kludge

What's the overall length of that Rick? Could I transport it on the 8' tray of my one-tonner?

Rick, your long hours and hard work is worth what I see and you will have many years of enjoyment of it and some day will pass it on to someone who will appreciate it, what type of motor do have on it, how about a pic of that and the drive system, love your work, you should be proud of that, more pic's man more pic's, Lathe Nut

What engine does it use? Also the brakes ? I think I can see hubs on the back but the front?

I'm not sure what the plans say but the old go-cart band type brakes would work good on something like that. The Azusa company still makes a bunch of that stuff. If you want to go high tech you can get a MCP hydraulic brake kit from Comet Kart Sales or one of the other many racing Kart suppliers.

Here are a couple good sources of parts for a project like that.

http://www.gokartgalaxy.com/brakes.htm
http://www.cometkartsales.com/
http://www.out2win.com/

The plans call for a lawn tractor engine no bigger than 8HP.
It uses a lawn tractor transaxle bolted up into the frame as a transmission and a
go cart brake system.

Cargo capacity is 700 pounds and a to speed of 15 MPH.

I just may have suckered in an accomplice for this project.
I can weld, machine and know engines and drivelines.
Wood working is not my thing!
My cousin on the other hand is a master wood worker.
I do believe I've captured his attention with a few emailed pics. ;)

The plans were purchased from Jimmy Woods if anyone would care
to have a look at his site. Jimmy Woods Carriage Plans

Rick

Motorcycle wheels and brakes. Could go for older ones and use drum brakes, or newer ones and use disk brakes. Could also go for dual chain drive to make it look even more period and allow a bit of ratio change.

:( looks like snail mail ordering only for the plans.

Is any kind hearted, US based member with a PayPal account prepared to take some money off me and get & forward said plans?

PM me if you can help.

For UK based chaps and chapesses....will this vehicle be required to take the SVA test? It may be something that needs considering....

Back